Oops! Can I Recover?

You should make a new template & scrap that one.

The neck may still be salvagable, but it would mead ripping it along the sides & laminating it with new timber. Id just rip it down the middle & put in a centre strip of contrasting material & go from there.

Yeah, template's gone for sure. You could try plugging it with something, but its just a template, and theres the danger the same thing could happen in the same place. Its just a template, make a new one if I were you.

I agree with the idea of cutting the neck in two down it's length and adding a center laminate - make a feature of it!

I don't have the tools to make a laminate strip, so I'm going to do what I can to repair it. The part I cut is very small and won't be in an area that's easily visible. I'm going to try to cut the rest and see exactly what I'm dealing with and probably make a small patch from scrap with the grain running the same way and sawdust-infused glue holding it together.

Wish me luck

I don't have the tools to make a laminate strip, so I'm going to do what I can to repair it. The part I cut is very small and won't be in an area that's easily visible. I'm going to try to cut the rest and see exactly what I'm dealing with and probably make a small patch from scrap with the grain running the same way and sawdust-infused glue holding it together.

Wish me luck

If you can repair the template, why can't you use it to make another template?

I wasn't talking about fixing the template, I was talking about fixing the neck. The only saw I have is a jigsaw, so I can't make a straight enough cut to get a laminate in there, and I don't have a planer to clean anything up anyway.

The template piece is trash, but the damage is on a straight edge, so I should be able to fix this one neck by working around the damaged area and then sanding flat afterwards on the belt sander.

After I have the neck shape cleaned up, I'll clean up the damaged part of the neck and glue in a patch the best I can. If there's a visible defect it will be beneath the fretboard where it will only be seen by looking from above while playing.

Since it's obvious you have a router :D , you could try this technique i read about here a while ago. I can't remember any keywords the thread might have contained, so i can't redirect you to it, and the technique was offered as a way to make perfect joins with a router for bodies and tops, but it should work here as well.

First, rip the neck in half (using the jigsaw would probably be fine), and then clamp the new spacer piece of wood (contrasting color would be cool) between the outside lams you just created. After that, you should be able to route freehand along the joint without the worry of keeping straight lines, because the straight bit will be making mirror image cuts on either side. Repeat the process on the other joint and when you're finished you'll be able to put the three piece neck together like a jigsaw puzzle.

The only problem i see is that this would need to be done in one pass, so if you're worried about wear on your router and bit i suppose you could widen the gap between the pieces to lessen the amount of wood you're try to hog out.

Good luck with the build and the repair.

Edited by eljib

Without the template attached and with the cut finished, it doesn't look quite as bad as it did

neckslip.jpg

However, that's the least of my problems now .. because of a nice tear-out while doing the headstock

headstockslip.jpg

So .. what's the word on painting a neck/headstock?

• 3 weeks later...

Reshaping around a defect can sometimes end up being really ace. Sometimes not.

Since you've had two seperate tear outs, I'd step back and check your bits and your method. The last thing you want is another tear out.

You could reshape it to be a suhr style headstock:

web.jpg?ver=13051522570001

Your one is also a pretty cool solution :D

The neck was so thick that I was able to plane it down and the blemish on the side is now gone. I'm considering a few different ways to handle the headstock, one of which is reshaping it to a more unique take on the Fender headstock like this:

headstockmaybe.jpg

I kinda like that headstock better than the fender one, it makes it more your own.

Reshaping around a defect can sometimes end up being really ace. Sometimes not.

Since you've had two seperate tear outs, I'd step back and check your bits and your method. The last thing you want is another tear out.

To be 100% honest, I really don't have a "method" ... and I'm not sure how to check if I'm doing this the wrong way. I'm just glad/lucky I didn't have any tear-outs like that on the body.

• 2 weeks later...