Building Speaker Cabs

First off if this is in the wrong area I apologize, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Anyways, so I built a 4x12 cab a while back out of a mahogany plywood sheet I had lying around and I don't really care for the sound of it. Prostheta suggested I should use baltic birch and I have heard of using that for wood before from companies like Mesa Boogie and Marshall but I can't afford it. My question is whether paper or yellow birch would be just as good or close to baltic birch. I have a ton of it sawn up but it's not being used and I don't want to waste it.

No, most plywood's plys have spaces, or "voids" in them. You can usually see where the manufacturer plugged the outer plys, they're football-shaped. They won't go through the trouble of plugging/filling/fixing any of the internal plys since they won't be seen. Baltic birch ply's are all solid.

No, most plywood's plys have spaces, or "voids" in them. You can usually see where the manufacturer plugged the outer plys, they're football-shaped. They won't go through the trouble of plugging/filling/fixing any of the internal plys since they won't be seen. Baltic birch ply's are all solid.

Ok so does the wood even affect the sound of the cab? I have read about people saying cabs from different years sound different and I wasn't sure if it was just how they were made or what.

MDF is one of the worst choices for a cab that you're going to use live and haul around. They tend to crumble after a while and they don't like humidity/water.

A good void free plywood cab is the best IMO. Birch Ply is most commonly used but there's what they call Apple Ply.

MDF is one of the worst choices for a cab that you're going to use live and haul around. They tend to crumble after a while and they don't like humidity/water.

A good void free plywood cab is the best IMO. Birch Ply is most commonly used but there's what they call Apple Ply.

What if I just used Birch lumber though and glued it into panels that I could make a cab out of.

Good point. I forgot about the humidity/water thing. The stereo speaker cabs I've made are A)veneered and sealed B)sitting inside on a shelf. MDF soaks up water like a sponge and is never the same again. Exposure to the elements would be bad.