Bubinga Neck Blanks

dpm99

I've discovered a supplier of very high quality wood just a mile or two from my house. The only problem is he only sells full boards, and they're generally bigger than anything we'd need for one guitar. I was over there the other day, and bought a piece from a stack identified as 4/4 quartersawn Bubinga. We did some random measurements in the stack with a nice moisture meter and got results ranging 8.2% to 9.1% MC.

Each of these boards are 30" x 3", and I've tried to point out any imperfections I could find in the pictures.

Wood info:

Bubinga is a smooth wood that doesn't need a finish. It has a good tone that's somewhere in between maple and mahogany, and while it's an exotic wood, it's been used often for guitar necks (and particularly for bass necks).

I will ship via USPS in a 36"x4"x4" box with bubble wrap/packing peanuts. For most domestic areas, shipping ought to be between $10-$15, plus any surcharges for rural areas. You can figure it out here, and add in about a dollar for packing materials: http://postcalc.usps.gov/

I'm considering buying more (including other species) in the future if there's enough interest. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Board #1-1: $35

Straight grain, and will include extra wood for headstock wings

1-1.jpg

Board #1-2: $30

Straight grain, and will include extra wood for headstock wings. I've priced it a little lower because it's not quite so quartersawn as 1-1.

1-2.jpg

Board #1-3: $20

Straight grain, and will include extra wood for headstock wings. HOWEVER, this board has a small split in the surface, and it's at the more quartersawn end. It extends about 1 1/8", and I've thrown in a picture of it so you can see what you're dealing with. As you can see from the other pictures, it doesn't go all the way through the board.

1-3.jpg

Boards #1-1, 1-2, 1-3, wiped with Naphtha

1-Naphtha.jpg

Boards #1-4, 1-5, 1-6: $10 each

These aren't quite as good. There may be tiny knots, or the grain might not be as straight. Great for laminate stock, of course, but iffy for neck blanks. They could be used for scarfed headstocks, fretboards, veneers, or ??? If you want more pictures, I'd be glad to take them. I was running out of daylight.

1-456.jpg

I'd be glad to answer any questions you might have about any of this stuff.