• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guitar gets the new blade humbuckers I designed. Basically they are blade style Diablos in an EMG cover. Add to the mix a tone pros bridge and stop tailpiece and we have a pretty straight forward rock machine.

P7060602.jpg

P7060603.jpg

Bridge set. I can't drive the bushings in until later as they will be hard to get out.

P7060605.jpg

P7060604.jpg

Time to start on the pickups. Again remove stock so the router doesn't work to hard. I plan the depth by using a long straight edge run the length of the fretboard to the bridge. Then measure down to the top... subtract that from the height of the pickup and you get the depth of the route. No that is not complicated at all...

P7060606.jpg

P7060609.jpg

Electronics cavity cleaned up and plate added.

P7060607.jpg

P7060608.jpg

A look at the wire channels. These things are huge... have to remember to be careful while routing. Tear out can be an issue. Another thing to watch out for is if the router bearing hits the opening there is a chance for bad things to happen.

P7060610.jpg

P7060611.jpg

The block is your friend. When doing 3/16" roundovers without a router table you should not try to route out on the edges. The router will always bite and destroy your edge. I try to stop a few inches short and follow up with a sanding block. The other advantage of the sanding block is that I can true up the edges at the same time I am finishing up the roundovers.

P7060619.jpg

P7060621.jpg

Sanded and cleaned up.

P7070645.jpg

P7070646.jpg

Sometimes ziricote is a real pain to work on. As I was drilling out for the side dots the board after the fourteenth fret started to pop up. I caught it before it really popped and stopped drilling. Wicked in some super glue and clamped it tight. Crisis averted... or so I thought. As I got to the 24th fret markers I managed to pop a hole chunk from the board. More dust/CA and some stuck fingers later it was all fixed.

P7070647.jpg

P7070648.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......you had me at "V"

I have been holding this ace in my sleeve... I wasn't sure I was even going to finish it until this week. I ran a marathon session last week (6 days straight) working on this one.

All that is left is to drill the tuners and set the neck.

Loooooove the headplate. It has echos of a cow skull in it.

Dang boy, if someone wasn't paying any attention, they'd think you did this all today. Any chance of seeing those blades without the covers....or is that a trade secret for now?

Nice.

SR

These are the blades I built at the same time I did the set for John.

P1010020.jpg

P1010021.jpg

P1010022.jpg

P1010023.jpg