Odin Guitar

Hi Guys,

Well, I'm well into my 2011 video project. (you can follow along on my web-site www.sharkinlay.com)

First off I have to say I really like the way this guitar is built. Very nice workmanship by J. Thayer Guitars. I'm going to be doing a completely over-the-top inlay on it based on the god Odin. (Thor's Dad) I'll post update pics when available.

The Guitar

guitar.jpg

The Plan

artwork.jpg

95% of the pieces are cut.

pieces95percent.jpg

How many legs is a horse supposed to have?

Ah, you're actually paying attention. Odin's horse, in the myth, has eight legs. The inlay has seven, the eighth would be under the bridge in this design, so it doesn't show. It was really hard to figure out where to put those extra legs.

Cool! :D I like the way you took the inlay into the bevels...very nice. Is there anything on the board?

Actually those pieces are just going to be trimmed off. We talked about rolling it over the edge, but the client is painting the bevels so there would be no point in that.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: I got around to cutting the final pieces. Next step is the hole.

piecesbody.jpg

piecesfretboard.jpg

Your skills are amazing, and your patience is beyond belief. It must take many hours to create so many bits that fit together so well :D

• 2 weeks later...

I'm seeing some nice details added to the skin and hair. The changes in the armour are throwing me a bit. In one pic it's grey, in the other white. Looking back, I'm guessing that's a function of light angle and reflection?

SR

The armor is actually metal (nickel), so it changes look in the pictures depending on how by mid-range camera see its and how the flash highlights it. In real life is looks like steel.

• 1 month later...