Small Bridge Bushings

NotYou

I'm switching a bridge out for somebody and the new bushings are too small. The obvious solution is dowel then re-drill, but I'd like to avoid any permanent or invasive work on this guitar as it is very nice.

I asked around a bit and some people suggested wrapping the bushing in veneer (it'd be a good fit), or aluminum, etc.. There were other suggestions, but I didn't like them.

There are potential issues, mostly with it being sturdy enough to resonate properly, but it also seems like it might work. If I do something like that (given that it works), he can switch out the bridge later with no issues from an added dowel.

Has anybody tried anything like that? I'm just looking for some experience on the issue. Any opinions are welcome too, of course. I'm just going over options a bit before I do anything.

the most recent issue of the Stew Mac Trade Secrets newsletter had them installing a thin post ABR into a Kalamazoo body.... here is the post http://www.stewmac.com/tsarchive/ts0147.html

long story short a thin post will not take away from the sustain or tone.... in the case of a Les Paul, it helps

that is what i would do - although i use a plug cutter drill bit rather than a lathe to make the inserts

it doesnt have to be permanent either - if the plugs are cut for a friction fit they wont need glueing

I would actually use a dowel. If the point of using the cross grain plug is to match the grain of the top, but then you don't bother to finish it to match, because it doesn't show, then W-T-F?

A dowel is going to have much more integrity than a cross grain plug with a hole drilled in it anyway.

Actually, I would have just left the bridge the way it was; even though, as everybody knows, any deviation from the way things were done in 1954 will result in vastly inferior tone.

Edited by orgmorg

matching the grain aesthetically is only one small reason to do it - matching the grain structurally is more important

the general problem with dowels for this sort of thing is that it can leave you screwing into end grain - which strips out much easier.

but if this is smaller inserts rather than the screw in kind a dowel may be acceptable. this is a relatively low pressure area on tune-o-matic guitars. I would definitely plug on a wraparound which is under a lot more pressure

plugs do have less strength along their length than dowels - but generally that strength inst what is needed

although the problem i would have over here is finding dowel in the correct wood and sizes

but i am in the habit of making plugs as they are usual for so many things in guitar repair where a dowel is thoroughly unsuitable. things like plugging tuner holes or any screw holes... and i have plugged and redrilled enough stud holes to know it will work for this, structurally and aesthetically if needed(will leave any tonal discussions to others, i have had to do it for different reasons)

and its a good use of scraps and offcuts