Electro Acoustic

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not make a new chin rest with all the bits in it you want?

That way you don't affect the integrity of the instrument and you can swap them out any time you like.

Yes, I have considered a chinrest with integrated electronics, it's just that I'd prefer a jackplate in the ribs for aestethical reasons. I don't have the skills necessary for making my own chinrest, so I'll have to spend some hundred dollars on one - that's an other reason I liked the idea of a jackplate in the ribs...

Even if you go for a jack plate I would still suggest using the miniature jack socket.

The hole necessary will be much smaller, the plate much lighter and the screws smaller and lighter too. It might even be possible to mount it in the end block and use a right angle plug which could be small enough not to poke you in the throat. Drill the hole as close as possible to an internal block anyway.

What about mounting the socket at the neck end? There's also a block there I presume? Position it carefully so it doesn't interfere with your hand?

I would then run a light cable to an adapter on your belt to take a standard 1/4" plug and cable to the amp. This would also keep any stresses off the violin from the much heavier cable and obviate any issues with a sudden pull on the amp cable damaging the instrument.

I've been talking with some makers, players and sellers of electro acoustics. The big problem doesn't seem to be the jackplate, but that the sides should be reinforced around the jack. This would require taking off the soundboard which I'm not very interested in. Best compromise is probably a chinrest with integrated jack.

The main reason for all this is the aestethical issue. I wan't the instrument to look electric. I'd like a volume knob in the soundboard too but I've dropped that idea because I'm not willing to sacrifice the acoustic tone. First I had the idea of an opening on the backside, then it would be easy to attach the volyme knob and reinforce the ribs, but it's a bit troublesome to make such thing on an arched bottom and besides I might damage the acoustic tone. The fiddle looks a bit like old jazz guitars or some semi acoustic Gretsch or whatever. It has a bit of rockabilly look to it and my idea is to go somewhere that way. I want an electric with full acoustic tone, not an amplified acoustic... In the future I also intend to replace the pegs with machine heads.

http://www.sdc.org/~acahay/booklet.html, see the bottom of the page.

Edited by Svento