Tool Score....mild Gloat

govtmule

Okay after having tested the sander on some scrap and on some real material I've had good and bad results.

I took an old scrap that ranged from 1/4" to 5/16" across it's face and the sander took it down to a very uniform 1/8" in short order. Very nice for thinning out fretboard stock.

On the bad side though I took a 16" wide, 2" thick body blank that had slipped a bit during glue up and attempted to square it up and take it down to 1 3/4". I broke two belts and haven't got down to the 1 3/4" mark yet. I may be asking too much of this sander, maybe not. The issue is with the portion of the belt that fits into the right most slot on the drum. It has a tiny bit of slack, even when trying to install the belt very tightly. So that little bit of slack gets hit pretty hard when sanding material that wide. Eventually it started to tear the belt and broke in two cases. Maybe the belts are old too, I don't know. They came with the sander.

Crappy thing is that the belts need to be at least 90" long to fit into both clips so as soon as one tip rips off the entire belt is useless....at least to the drum sander. I haven't priced the pre-cut belts yet but I think I'm going to cut my own from 3" rolls.

Anyone have any advice on keeping the belt tight to avoid tearing up the ends as they go into the slots ?

not knowing what model you have, i found this in a search

Adjusting the drum to accommodate wide or narrow stock points out the major difference between the Ryobi and the Performax. Instead of a fine adjustment knob, the Ryobi relies on shims (two 0.010-in. shims are provided) to reset the gap between the drum and conveyor at the open end. The table can be shimmed at the open end of the sander and then brought to parallel with the drum. To achieve a wider gap, remove one or two of the shims and retighten the Allen-head screws. To return the drum and table to parallel, the process is reversed.

untill you are used to this specific machine, you might have to go very slow and not take off a lot of material in each pass.... they no longer make it, so there might be a reason for that.... this certainly doesn't mean it is a poor machine in any event

not knowing what model you have, i found this in a search

Adjusting the drum to accommodate wide or narrow stock points out the major difference between the Ryobi and the Performax. Instead of a fine adjustment knob, the Ryobi relies on shims (two 0.010-in. shims are provided) to reset the gap between the drum and conveyor at the open end. The table can be shimmed at the open end of the sander and then brought to parallel with the drum. To achieve a wider gap, remove one or two of the shims and retighten the Allen-head screws. To return the drum and table to parallel, the process is reversed.

untill you are used to this specific machine, you might have to go very slow and not take off a lot of material in each pass.... they no longer make it, so there might be a reason for that.... this certainly doesn't mean it is a poor machine in any event

I was taking it very slow and only adjusting the depth wheel once every 3 or 4 passes. I think the key is going to be to stay away from the last inside inch of the drum. In most cases that will be very doable.

if you have it adjusted correctly, it should hold without the slop in the belt.... from the post earlier

"the Ryobi relies on shims (two 0.010-in. shims are provided) to reset the gap between the drum and conveyor at the open end. The table can be shimmed at the open end of the sander and then brought to parallel with the drum. To achieve a wider gap, remove one or two of the shims and retighten the Allen-head screws. To return the drum and table to parallel, the process is reversed."

i don't know if you had done this or not, so forgive me if it was done.... setting up tools that are previously used, and not complete or with instructions can be a real hassle.... my father made his own tools (yes they were awesome) as a part of training he did as a tool and die maker... he would lay out early cad programs for guys to run to make his own stuff.... he always modeled off of other tools and modified what he thought didn't work effectively or well