Router bit

Bobb2112

This is my first attempt at making a solid body guitar. A sort of challenge from my young guitar playing nephew. He has sent me two 1957 Gibson humbuckers. The book I have calls for a 3/8 pattern bit to be used in conjuction with a template. I have been able to find only a 1/2 pattern bit any suggestions? We are using Honduran Mahogany as a core sandwiched between book-matched pieces of Quilted maple. He also wants the top and back carved and wooden knobs to match which I will spin on my lathe. I have been involved in wood-working for a number of years and have found that given the proper tools and instruction anything is possible. This site is by far the best I have run across and I have been researching this project for about a month now. Thanks Bobb

The 1/2" bit won't fit into the corners as tightly as a 3/8" will, but I don't think it's going to kill you. I used a 1/2" in the place a 3'8" on mine (no rings to worry about), and it came out fine.

edit: BTW, I was using the StewMac humbucker template.

I've used a 1/2in pattern bit with the Stew-Mac template without any problems. You might want to look on the internet for Whiteside, Jesada, CMT or Amana router bits. These bit are of very high quality and less expensive....(I like Stew-Mac but some of their stuff is overpriced)...I'm not sure if any of these companies make a 3/8 pettern bit, but I'll check at my local dealer. I have had bad experiences with the Stew-Mac bit.......the bearings aren't great.