Lefty Cicada I Am Building... Solid Body Koa On Tulip Poplar.

Boggs

The neck is being built now and it will be birdseye maple with a pistatio fingerboard. Progress to date... Not finish sanded by any stretch of the imagination, but will give you a good idea what it will look like.

Lefty_Cicada1s.jpg

Lefty_Cicada2s.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Wow...

I gotta get me some pistachio.

It is available at Oregon Wildwoods. Tell them Boggs from RockBeach Guitars in Rochester, NY told you about them! www.oregonwildwood.com

• 4 weeks later...

School and no funds have really slowed my work output on this, but it'll give you an idea of what it will look like. Only one seal coat on the koa top...

Lefty_Cicada3s.jpg

Lefty_Cicada4s.jpg

Lefty_Cicada5s.jpg

Biggest problem I am having is finding a lefty bridge... I found out from the manufacturer of the one I have and set up the neck pocket for that the saddles cannot be reversed to convert it to a lefty and they do not make it in a lefty configuration. Very frustrating at the moment...

Found a source for a nice wraparound bridge loaded for a lefty!!!! My friends at GraphTech are loading up a ResoMax in a lefty configuration for me and hopefully I have convinced them that there is a need for a lefty-friendly OEM manufacturer... If they market as a lefty-friendly company, I think that could pay dividends for them knowing how hard it is to find one. Here's a pic of their wraparound bridge.

ResoMax.jpg

Is it really that hard to disassemble a righty bridge and swap the saddles around??? Dick Dale and Hendrix swere flippin geetars over decades ago, it can't be that hard ta do... :D

Apparently, the ends of the intonation adjustment screws are the issue as I was told specifically by the manufacturer of the righty I have that if I did try to disassemble and swap them, I would be almost assured of having buzz issues with it. I was told that by actually more than one manufacturer. I suspect the ends are swaged in some way so they stay in place. Make them loose, and I would expect the result they describe.

Good news for leftys... It looks like the GraphTech ResoMax is eaqually happy as a righty or a lefty. No special loading of saddles is necessary. It also looks a HELLUVA lot more comfortable for palm muting than a typical Tune-O-Matic saddle. Nice to see somebody has their engineering and ergonomics act together besides me! Cheers! :D

• 1 month later...