Guitar Of The Month For November

Guitar of the Month for November  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Well done all. I voted for Air-In-Fall - beautiful work, Chris. There's an elegance in acoustics that sometimes overcomes the "sameness" of the shape to other acoustics. You've certainly done that here. Loved the maple leaf inlays - really have a feeling of gently drifting and floating down. Thanks for your explanation of the changes in bracing too.

Stiff competition this month. Several of these could have been winners at another time. RAD got my vote. The fact that I hate V's and I'm so drawn to that guitar is a testimony to what an incredible instrument it is. Everyone should be proud of their work this month. Whoever wins, all the more.

As dmp99 said - several good guitars here.

mefgames - Nice smooth guitar. Simple, classy and well matched choice of colors. Excellent results from a second build. Shame you didnt share more pics of the back/neck etc.

Osorio - Awesome color choice. Trans blue looks phenominal and works so well on that top. Very very nice guitar. I'm not a fan of the bridge choice but the rest of the guitar is very appealing! Professional, Outstanding work.

RestorationAD - I can imagine the painstaking work you put into that. Hats off to you. Wouldn't have been my choice of wood combo's. I like light/dark combos, but we can't all be the same I guess. Fantastic workmanship. I love the lines in the body wings. Well thought out build.

curtisa - First builds are usually a disaster. You've pulled off a non painted (harder than painted as you can't hide screwups!), smooth/sharp lined body on your first shot. Be proud. It's much much better than the first body(s) I ever made!

avengers63 - Definitely something different and it looks like you pulled it off.

andyt - I've been tempted to do a swirl guitar for a long time now so this one definitely got my attention. That swirl looks great. Love the headstock wood also, I wouldn't mind having a few planks of that laying around! It looks like one of those guitars that if you pick it up it'd be just play/feel right straight away. Congrats.

verhoevenc - I have great admiration for anyone who builds accoustics. Looks to me like something you could sit down playing for hours. Love the rosette. Very classy. If it sounds as good as it looks I'm sure you could loose time playing that one!

whalehazard - Hope your bass player appreciates all the hours you've put into his new player. Looks like a well built/well finished guitar. Liking the headstock cap and the logo/inlay. A round logo like that could be used so many ways.

P&W got my vote. While the swirled paint job isn't really my cup of tea, it has the Vai mojo which I can't resist, and a reverse 7 headstock is a whole world of cool in my book.

Honorable mentions must go to Osorio's Blue Burst and Verhovenc's Air in Fall.

And of course to all entrants, beautiful work by everyone.

Not a banner month, as far as I'm concerned.

I'm loathe to vote for RAD, even though it's far and away the nicest guitar, just because it seems like an unfair fight: RAD is the most talented builder on the site so of course his builds are amazing.

So Chris gets my vote - love that it's something different, and the amount of thought and design going into just the bracing makes my head spin.

That Lemon VI is cool as hell. I'm huge into Jaguar, and old-school Fender in general, based design lately as well. Those bridges just add a mojo to a guitar visually! What do you think of that bridge/trem combo now that you've used it?

Either way, the yellow guy got my vote. There was some hot stuff this month, but I couldn't fight the retro mojo!

Chris

I'm loathe to vote for RAD, even though it's far and away the nicest guitar, just because it seems like an unfair fight:

Oh come on,RAD is an "up and comer"...using the same tools as everyone else but getting better results than most.That is not cause for writing him off as a shoe in,rather it should be cause for respect and inspiration.He started the same way as everyone else.

It doesn't matter who you vote for IMO,but you have to give the guy his proper respect,instead of taking his good work for granted...that just devalues all of the hands on work and the hours he puts in to every build,not to mention all of the wenge dust he ate to make this particular one,which is incredibly different from his regular stuff.

By the way,Chris is just as talented,so the logic applied doesn't even make any sense if you have seen Chris's other beauties.

I'm loathe to vote for RAD, even though it's far and away the nicest guitar, just because it seems like an unfair fight:

Oh come on,RAD is an "up and comer"...using the same tools as everyone else but getting better results than most.That is not cause for writing him off as a shoe in,rather it should be cause for respect and inspiration.He started the same way as everyone else.

It doesn't matter who you vote for IMO,but you have to give the guy his proper respect,instead of taking his good work for granted...that just devalues all of the hands on work and the hours he puts in to every build,not to mention all of the wenge dust he ate to make this particular one,which is incredibly different from his regular stuff.

By the way,Chris is just as talented,so the logic applied doesn't even make any sense if you have seen Chris's other beauties.

+1 and the statement about RAD being the best builder on this site? Not to take away anything from RAD, but you are forgetting note ables, such as Perry Orsmby pgname,(Rhoads56), David Myka, pgname(Myka Guitars), Melvyn Hiscock, pgname(Melvyn Hiscock), and many others. Again nothing against RAD, but there are many people here as capable or better.

Just my 0.02cents.

MK

I went with the V. As I said in the build thread, it is one of the coolest Vees I have seen. In addition, it is certainly the best display of wenge grain I have seen.

Verhoeven's 5 almost stole my vote, but the sunburst neck, which is quite nice in its own right, doesn't look right to me on that body. Other than that, I absolutely love the colors, especially in the rosette. Gorgeous!

I really like the blue LP, and the Bigsby looks great on it. Alessander, if you are still having problems with it not returning to pitch, I would attribute that to the heavy string breakover angle on the bridge, as it looks like you got everything else right.

The Jupiter is cool too, but I would have left out the little stub at the end where the Bigsby is supposed to go. Without the Bigsby, it looks like it is supposed to have a second, horizontally opposed neck and somebody forgot to install it.

I really like the finish on the warlock, but for some reason I end up fixating on the rusty diamond plate in the background. :D:D

Once again, some beautiful craftsmanship. The quality of all the GOTM entries is so good, it gets more and more difficult to choose one as a favourite.

So, purely because I love the shape, and it's the first one I've seen entered on PG, I had to go with the Jupiter by Avengers63. I can almost see Billy Gibbons standing there playing it :D

Ditto on the Lemon VI. Johnny, please help next month become a "banner month" by entering one of your own guitars. I would infer from your comment that you have much to offer.

Entering one of my own would do absolutely nothing to raise the overall quality. I'm not implying I could do better, just that most months I really struggle to make a decision because there are so many I like, but this month most of them didn't really do it for me. On a personal taste level. That's not to say they aren't good builds, they're just builds that didn't float my boat.

I give RAD all the respect in the world, but I just think there's something obvious about voting for the guy who posts jaw-droppingly good builds week in, week out. Chris is also super talented, but RAD is like a machine. If it's any consolation, I think RAD's V is insanely beautiful and I'd give a kidney just to touch it for an hour. I can't really justify my choice of vote, so I'm not going to. So there!

+1 and the statement about RAD being the best builder on this site? Not to take away anything from RAD, but you are forgetting noteables, such as Perry Orsmby pgname,(Rhoads56), David Myka, pgname(Myka Guitars), Melvyn Hiscock, pgname(Melvyn Hiscock), and many others. Again nothing against RAD, but there are many people here as capable or better.

Just my 0.02cents.

MK

Personally I prefer RAD's work to Perry's, but that's beside the point - none of them are particularly active on the site currently, which is why I say RAD's the best on the site - I'm implying the caveat "that is posting work regularly right now". Not to take anything away from Perry, David or Melvyn who are all talented beyond belief.

I think everyone here is a good builder, myself excluded. I have learned something from almost every single active poster here. It's nice to have something to compare your work against and to have guys set the bar so high. It makes you try harder and go for perfection on your own guitars.

I voted for Osorio, Les Pauls are not easy builds and this one turned out great, finish is beautiful and the bigsby gives some real vintage Mojo.

MK hit the nail on the head, there are many great builders on this site and i would find it really hard to compare a builder who has a 2 year waiting list and sells his guitars for as much and more as high level factory customs to builders who don't do it as their day jobs but still build beautiful guitars.

Chad.

"Air-In Fall: Swaying Hearts and Minds With Purple and Orange" got my vote this month. The leaves inlay are great, as is the rosette.

BAPHOMET WARLOCK love the colour, and the design on the front. Not to keen on the heel to body transition looks a bit "lumpy"

Lemon VI, Looks tidy enough, not enough pics tho'

Blue Burst Lester, I read the build thread the other day in one hit, great job on it. There's not much I don't like on this apart from the Bigsby (make the body look crowded) and the control knobs, apart from that i'd have it.

--Punisher-- A very close second.The Wenge is stunning, makes me want to build a V.

RG7 Facelift. Nice and clean, good first build.

Gretsch Jupiter/Thunderbird I like the heel, and that's about it, the rest is down to my taste and Gretsch are not my favouite brand. Putting my tastes to the side, with the amount of instruments you build there just seems to be a bit lacking, it's as if you can't wait to finish the current build so that you can start the next one. it may be the pics but the fret markers don't appear to clean and the binding on the body could be better.

P&W Great job on the swirl, and I like the neck good choice of woods.#

Whalehazard Thunderback LW Another one down to taste, it does nothing for me except "I wonder what happened to that SG"

Edited by jaycee

I have a day job and I am not sure I would want to build fulltime as it would ruin the relaxing part. Now on with the show.

demonx - BAPHOMET WARLOCK - I like it as it reminds me of my favorite times in metal. I would like to see pictures of it on a black background. Good to see a new face as well I like the 80s retro vibe from the work I have seen.

mefgames - Lemon VI - Nice clean vintage feel. I like the yellow.

Osorio - Blue Burst Lester - Stunning (except the bigsby) and I don't normally like blue guitars. The burst is amazing. Very nice build threads Osorio thank you for contributing. Clean the lint off next time before you take pictures :D

curtisa - Build Numero Uno - RG7 Facelift - This came out very clean. I like the workhorse mentality.

avengers63 - Gretsch Jupiter/Thunderbird - Nice retro with a muddy waters vibe. Not something I would ever build but I could see Gibbons playing it. This does have a bit of a rushed look to it... like you got excited to work in your new shop.

andyt - P&W - I am not sure how you are able to swirl like this but it is amazing.

verhoevenc - "Air-In Fall: Swaying Hearts and Minds With Purple and Orange" - Excellent. I bet it is amazing in person. The box looks very deep on this acoustic.

Whalehazard - Thunderback LW - Very nice bass. I like how DemonX put it. I hope your bass player appreciates all the hard work.

Jaycee: thanks for the comments. I carve "my" heels a bit deeper than this, but when I carved the heel on this warlock it's a straight copy if the heel on my USA vintage BCR warlock, so I kept the original curves.

RAD: thanks for the compliments. Means a lot coming from someone who obviously "knows his ****"!

I can't help but have a metal vibe, it's who I am and where I come from.

Tks all that vote in my Blue Buster.

Tks all that like or dislike (why not?)

In my mental moment I would vote in Res, I'm more V's than Lesters in these days, in fact Im seriouly thinking to do a Jackson V to myself.

BAPHOMET WARLOCK - I like this model, it's brutal!! I din't like the headstock an inlays markups. It doesn't fit the model in my opinion, but a great guitar i'm curious to listen how this pickups sound.

Lemon VI - I gues that the name say like it sounds. Nice color an finish, I'd put some bevel at pickguard.

Myself Lester - I think that bigsby polute the guitar. In fact I don't like this tremolo, but the owner buy all the hardware, I don't have a chance to make him change mind about this. Abou the lints Res, I realy try to clean, but aways had a dam dust in that dam gloss varnish!! (LOL)

RES - Punisher - This is my second choice to this month. As ever a very clean build thread, just don't like the knob color (chrome feets better IMHO) and the eletric cavity cover, black or with the same wood of body wings will looks great.

Numero Uno - Great rebuild, gues that the guitar sounds much better than a original.

Avenger Thunderbird - This model its awesome, Avenger build a great guitar I just didn't like the switch pickguard at least a great guitar, excelent hardware.

P&W - another seven strings, some day I'll make a guitar like that, 7 strings and swirl.

Verhoevenc Project - I think that is no fair an acoustic instrument compete with a solid body, acoustics are much more artistic and hard to build, deserved a separete category. Congrats!!!

Whalehazard Thunderback LW - great original ans strange shape, nice build, I just ask for a trus rod cover, where it is?

In general all of you guys deserve my respect and appreciation, I always learn a lot from your build threads and I hope that someone could learn something with my threads.