Guitar Of The Month For November

Guitar of the Month for November  

98 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I voted for verhoevenc. Your work gets better and better all the time! Also, I have a thing for small acoustics.

I like all of the other guitars as well. Everybody did great work, really. The acoustic just really stood out this time, I thought.

BTW, did anybody not know the blue maple was going to win. :D I want to see a month where there are two blue flame/curly/tiger maple guitars. It'll create chaos! :D

Edited by NotYou

BTW, did anybody not know the blue maple was going to win.

I love it when I'm proven right time after time. :D

DEMONX: I detest Satanic imagery of any kind. This sort of thing would exclude it from my voting regardless of the quality.

MEFGAMES: I absolutely love it's classic simplicity.

OSORIO: There's frankly nothing I can add that hasn't already been said.

RAD: I entered this month so I could go head-to-head with you with two completely different styles. I guess I've learned my lesson!

CURTISA: A lot of folks here will rag on you for using salvaged parts, especially the neck. That's something I'll never do, and if anyone does, ignore them. I like the looks of this one, and it looks very well executed. The only nit I can pick is that plain mahogany looks really plain. Then again, plain makes for a great daily player/beater guitar - it doesn't so much matter if you bang it into something.

AVENGERS63: Rushed? I took probably 9-12 months on this one!

ANDYT: Swirls are impressive. I like it

VERHOEVENC: I haven't made an acoustic yet, so I'm unable to speak with any credibility about yours.

WHALEHAZZARD: I really don't like the shape. It's like a cross between an SG and a reversed Explorer. It just doesn't flow at all. And then there's the pentagram....

There are too many extremely talented builders on this sight to say there is a best. i will say there are builders with styles that i prefer and i do have a favorite builder but i would never go as far as to say he was the best.

btw i went with Chris a lot of nice guitars this month but Chris's caught my eye.

Alright, clearly this shape is not something people here appreciate...avengers, you're close, but it's actually an SG and a flipped Thunderbird...not nonreverse as that's more rounded in that area, which is exactly what the buyer asked for. I entered this month not hoping to win, but hoping to get some criticism that was a little more constructive from all you builders that I have learned from and respect. What's wrong with the pentagram? If you don't like it, it would help me a lot to know why. Great job this month, everybody. The blue LP got my vote without even seeing the rest. Amazing.

What's wrong with the pentagram? If you don't like it, it would help me a lot to know why

John feels that it is "satanic imagery' and he has a problem with that,as he said.He has expressed it many times to me as well but I can't say that his tastes appeal to me either for the most part,so just chalk it off to "different strokes"

Personally,I know that a pentagram actually has nothing to do with satanism,and even if it did it would still not bother me...I am just the type of wierdo thatcan believe what I believe without caring if others believe the same

Personally,I have a V with pentagram inlays custom built for me by KXK that should be coming around before too long..I love the way it looks

Christians once more commonly used the pentagram to represent the five wounds of Jesus.[4][5]

Although what you have on the bass is a pentacle,not a pentagram

Satanists use a pentagram with two points up, often inscribed in a double circle, with the head of a goat inside the pentagram. This is referred to as the Sigil of Baphomet. They use it much the same way as the Pythagoreans, as Tartaros literally translates from Greek as a "Pit" or "Void" in Christian terminology (the word is used as such in the Bible, referring to the place where the fallen angels are fettered). The Pythagorean Greek letters are most often replaced by the Hebrew letters לויתן forming the name Leviathan. Less esoteric LaVeyan Satanists use it as a sign of rebellion or religious identification, the three downward points symbolising rejection of the holy Trinity

dont know if it true but thats what wiki had to say on the matter.

re: SATANIC IMAGES / RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION

Since it's my guitar I feel the need to chime in since it's started a touchy discussion with my artwork. I'm the one that built it, I'm the one that painted it. I simply see it as artwork to enhance the guitar and not a representation of religion or beliefs... I couldn't give a flying f about religion, I see that particular artwork as being suited to the shape of the guitar, thats all.

Avenger has come in stating he detests satanic imagery and thus my guitar has been taken from his voting options because of this. I was not offended. End of matter.

I didnt respond for the reason of politeness. I am non religious but I understand so many peoples lives are ruled by religion, some lives destroyed by such, I just pushed avengers comment aside as someone who's life is ruled by religion and they cannot see out of the lines it draws for them. My mother is the same or most likely worse so I have an inside understanding of how religious minds work - no point trying to change or rationalise the way of thinking. It's not going to happen. My mother would rather die on a stake that admit her religion is wrong about something. So I won't waste my breath same as I just left avengers comments alone. Just not worth it.

NOW - as for the rest of the discussions on the "pentagram/pentacles etc" - I really dont think this is the right place for religious discussions as talks on this topic never end good and this is a great place, great people and great guitars. Lets just keep it like that!

As to Avenger: You seem like a good bloke, we have similar interests (ie: lutherie and guitars) I'm not offended by your religious statements or beliefs and I certainly have no problem with you personally, so lets just leave it all at that and congratulate Osorio for kicking all our arses with his beautiful blue maple sensation.

Attention back to Osorio please!

Cheers

Allan

I know we've moved on, but I would like to add that my biggest problem with pentagrams is that they're so overdone. If you want to inlay a satanic symbol of rebellion or something, here's an archaic symbol that you might not have considered. Perhaps you might inlay something like this?

GCS.jpg

I know we've moved on, but I would like to add that my biggest problem with pentagrams is that they're so overdone. If you want to inlay a satanic symbol of rebellion or something, here's an archaic symbol that you might not have considered. Perhaps you might inlay something like this?

GCS.jpg

+1

:D

It is a boorish subject,no doubt,but I assure you I was speaking on symbolism,not religion.There is a difference.

Ah the crow,the raven,the corvus..shadowy servant of the night...

Goats are cuddlier and they keep the weeds down :D

NOW - as for the rest of the discussions on the "pentagram/pentacles etc" - I really dont think this is the right place for religious discussions as talks on this topic never end good and this is a great place, great people and great guitars. Lets just keep it like that!

As to Avenger: You seem like a good bloke, we have similar interests (ie: lutherie and guitars) I'm not offended by your religious statements or beliefs and I certainly have no problem with you personally, so lets just leave it all at that and congratulate Osorio for kicking all our arses with his beautiful blue maple sensation.

Well said, sir. :D

I understand Avenger's position, because I have the same reaction to Christian symbolism.

I'm not just saying this to be contrary, either.

We all have our own personal comfort levels in this regard.

I think John does a pretty good job of expressing his without pushing it too far.

Believe me, I have witnessed "too far" before.

My vote went to the Punisher. I'm not a "V" type of guy but I just love the aesthetics of this build. The Laminates are just visually striking to me and I like the simplicity of the controls. I also love the look of the Hipshot tuners.

Like someone else mentioned theres the thought of working with the wenge that I hear is a PITA.

Air-In Fall: This almost won my vote. I really appreciate the craftsmanship here. Beautiful guitar.

BAPHOMET WARLOCK: The headstock seems out of place to me and the finish looks like it is full of ripples.

Lemon VI: Nice build. Just not my style.

Blue Burst Lester: Beautiful guitar and an awesome burst finish. The only thing I didnt like is the Bigsby and the knob selection. I think black knobs would look at home on this.

Build Numero Uno - RG7 Facelift: Being a neck transplant didnt seem like a complete build to me. Nice job though.

Gretsch Jupiter/Thunderbird: I dont like the aesthetics of this guitar at all. Different stokes I guess.

P&W: Nice swirl job and interesting scarf.

Whalehazard Thunderback: I'm not crazy about the shape on this. Looks like a bull meets gumby and I think the burst goes a little too far towards the center. Pentagrams dont bother me but I'd include the truss cover next time you take photos. I like the mirror gloss finish though.

Sdshirtman: the finish is block sanded to 2000 and polished with a buffer. If you look at the pics you'll notice it's marblizer with candy over the top. It's a paint effect. There's no "ripples", it's like glass

Ok if some one said they where Jewish and wouldnt vote for a guitar adorned with Christian symbols well no one would have a problem so whats the big deal John didnt like the guitar hell i didnt vote for the swirl because i dont like swirls he didnt vote for the guitat because he dosesnt like pentagrams. Its ok he didnt attack any body he just stated his feeling on the subject.