Veillette Gryphon Copy

I put a piezo in an acoustic not too long ago - just a standard add-a-pickup job.  But doing so got me thinking and reading a little about the relative merits of piezo vs. transducer vs. microphone pickups.  What I really wondered is whether a combination of two of these approaches, mixed at the preamp would give a more robust sound that would overcome the weaknesses of any individual approach.  I'm sure I could have found plenty of opinions on the interwebs, but I finished that particular project and moved on to other things.  Your post just made me wonder a little again.

On 5/3/2017 at 8:10 PM, Mr Natural said:

Mrs Natural knows better. She allows me to make a mess in the garage- that is the one room in our whole house I can do that in.  However- this was safely stored in my "wood room" aka spare basement bedroom turned into my wood storage/instruments/amps/pedals/cables etc room- I have to keep it neat in there (Mrs Natural doth say)- but -its temp and humidity controlled via humidifier/dehumidifier and the door pretty much stays closed on that room.

So- checking the wood on this- still flat after all these years- wow- guess the box full of turning blanks I set on top helped keep things in check.

IMG_0911.jpg

That's an intriguing little package under wraps on the bottom shelf there. I didn't notice it the first time I read this..... Have we seen that before?

SR

you found my easter egg. Usually you - or Carl- or in years gone by RAD would find them.

Yeah- that one has a story- no- you haven't seen it before- but that is for another thread and another time. glad you found it though.

14 hours ago, ScottR said:

That's an intriguing little package under wraps on the bottom shelf there. I didn't notice it the first time I read this..... Have we seen that before?

SR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

with the ken Lawrence copy almost finished, I have been giving this one some thought, firstly I need to get these materials out of their sheltered environment and into my garage where this time of year it is typically fairly humid and hot at times. I put them out tonight and we will see if anything "moves" this weekend.

IMG_0975.jpg

I have decided to use a figured piece of maple on the fingerboard. This goes against what I would normally do with a fingerboard- that is- I would stay away from figured wood, stick with certain tone woods that are as close to quarter sawn as possible, etc-  but I have a specific finish and look I am going for with this one- and instead of saying "why" I am saying "why not" which is something I struggle with at times. its not like I will be bending notes on this- so hopefully this board will work out. flip side is I get a great big learning experience on why I shouldn't use figured maple on a fingerboard if it doesn't work out and I can experience sanding off/replacing the board. .

IMG_0972.jpg

IMG_0974.jpg

• 11 months later...