"ötzi" Iceman Build

Been thinking about a PS10 build for quite some time now, but I wanted to do something slightly different than the original PS10. The other day I watched a PBS special about "Ötzi" the iceman. I was intrigued by the story, and the theory of how he died. You know me when it comes to "themed" builds :D So, I combined the two...Here is the result:

The inspiration: "ötzi" rockin it old school

o9.jpg

The specs:

25.5" scale

Black limba Iceman body

Black limba set neck with ziricote lams & maple stripes

Ziricote fretboard with integrated binding

Gold MOP block inlays with black MOP ötzi tatoo designs

Evo gold jumbo frets

2 hum layout (pups TBD)

Original gold Ibanez PS10 LTD hardware

The "Christmas tree" tailpiece will be a gold MOP arrowhead shape inlaid into ziricote

The materials:

o1.jpg

o2.jpg

This is a personal build, so I'm unsure how quick I can get it done.

Beautiful, beautiful Black Limba you have there. definately one of my favourite looking woods. Also really like the tasteful maple pin stripes on the neck.

I love, however, how people can find inspiration for guitar builds just about anywhere, why not a 5000 year old mummy!

Actually, I have 2 matching black limba body blanks. I've been sitting on them for about 3 years now. When my wife and I were watching the PBS special, I told her "his skin looks just like a piece of ziricote I have stashed". :D The next day I dug it out and cut it into 3 pieces. Two went in the neck, and I saved the other for the fretboard.

What are the top and headstock plate going to be made from? Are they to be painted black or do you have that much ziricote?

The body won't have a top. I like the grain in the limba. The headstock will have an 1/8" ziricote plate, and the tuners will be recessed slightly. Both the headplate, and the fretboard will have maple veneer under them to match the neck lams.

What are the top and headstock plate going to be made from? Are they to be painted black or do you have that much ziricote?

The body won't have a top. I like the grain in the limba. The headstock will have an 1/8" ziricote plate, and the tuners will be recessed slightly. Both the headplate, and the fretboard will have maple veneer under them to match the neck lams.

The grain in the limba is awesome, I'm glad to here you say that. Nice touch with the maple lams to match the neck too. I was looking at the iceman with the iceman visual you put up and assumed that meant a black top. :D

This is going to be fun.

SR

The grain in the limba is awesome...

I know I'm in the minority, but I prefer white limba to black.

I have a piece with some serious black graining that I just glued up top be used for a body that I'm going to be painting. Lemme say that again... I'm painting over black limba. I only told y'all that so your heads would spin off. :D

• Like 1

Lemme say that again... I'm painting over black limba. I only told y'all that so your heads would spin off.

Eh,I don't see limba as particularly good looking...I think of it as paint grade,for the most part,though it is a handsome wood if left clear as well...

It's not like painting over flamed maple or quilted bubinga or anything.

I have a piece with some serious black graining that I just glued up top be used for a body that I'm going to be painting. Lemme say that again... I'm painting over black limba. I only told y'all that so your heads would spin off. :D

Ehh... To each his own I guess. :D I see no problem painting over limba of any kind. I'm not a huge fan of black limba per say. My approach was to use the most mottled, streaky, variegated wood I had in stock. On this particular body blank, I do like the look of the end grain. It works well with the motif. I plan on using a black grain fill also.

I have a piece with some serious black graining that I just glued up top be used for a body that I'm going to be painting. Lemme say that again... I'm painting over black limba. I only told y'all that so your heads would spin off. B)

Ehh... To each his own I guess. :D I see no problem painting over limba of any kind. I'm not a huge fan of black limba per say. My approach was to use the most mottled, streaky, variegated wood I had in stock. On this particular body blank, I do like the look of the end grain. It works well with the motif. I plan on using a black grain fill also.

i thought of this as well when looking at it : the grain looks killer on the blank, but how much of that will be left once the shaping/sanding is done ? Just a curiosity I guess.

Great theme for a build tho. Iceman indeed. :D

View PostScottR, on 10 December 2011 - 06:55 PM, said:

.....and sooooo beyond what us mere mortals can do. :D

Nonsense! With a steady hand, that could easily be done with a scrollsaw. I don't have any shell to works with, but still.....

Yeah, but who accused you of being a mere mortal? :D

SR

somebody send john some pearl to put his money where his mouth is :D

i think the stripes in the block inlay are pretty damn cool - but it does make me think it needs 6 stripes, which could mirror the look of a proper slotted cover like on the original 2663 ibanez artist

-4131205810091968.jpg

• Like 1

somebody send john some pearl to put his money where his mouth is :D

+46 :D

I'd be more than happy to accept the challenge.

i think the stripes in the block inlay are pretty damn cool - but it does make me think it needs 6 stripes, which could mirror the look of a proper slotted cover like on the original 2663 ibanez artist

Pups with those covers aren't too hard to find on eBay. IDK where you'd find just the covers though.

Pups with those covers aren't too hard to find on eBay. IDK where you'd find just the covers though.

thats what i did for mine. i got the cheap pups of ebay, removed the covers and put them on some BKP's. i then put the cover-less cheapo pickups back on ebay. I think the pickups cost £30 new and i got £10 back from ebay.

aice2.jpg

here they are

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Neck-Bridge-Classic-humbucker-pickups-8-6k-P7-/140341085828?pt=UK_Guitar_Accessories&hash=item20acfb0684#ht_500wt_725

they had silver coloured plastic between the bobbins and cover to hide the poles, they are actually slotted covers like the iceman