building my neck through guitar

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest AlexVDL

Wes you should definately make some bocote humbucker mounting rings or knobs... it looks so nice, you have to let it come back somewhere in the body... maybe a cool bocote inlay behind the bridge??

It looks awesome Wes!!!!!!!!

:DB)

Guest Litchfield Custom Gutars

Looks so nice. How are you finishing her? That is so badass. I think the bocote mouning rings woul be cool, too. And if by chance you dont like em, I'll buy them.

okay...warning......make SURE to completely flush out the carbon rods and glue them in and let them dry before glueing on the board.

i didn't realize the glue was forcing my rods back out of the slot...and they cracked my fretboard....now i must make a new one...and i was going to taper and cut the neck today 

I'm a bit late with this but I was hunting down this topic to see how you handled the carbon rods - guess why?

I didn't crack mine or glue it on yet but I did notice that my fretboard would not sit properly on the neck. The rods looked like they were flush with the top edge but they weren't. I have done some sanding and things are good now but next time, I will route the carbon rod channels 1/32 deeper than I did this time.

I really like the quilted maple fretboard. Looks like it's gonna be a good one. Sometimes mistakes lead to improvements. :D

it looks good so far, my only thoughts are it looks almost overkill with the quilted top and the quilted fb prolly will look better once there is finish on it, are u puttin a tom on there or goin for a trem cuz it doesnt look like you have angled the neck at all

MzI

i shaped my first one by hand with sandpaper ....tsl602000 gave me some good tips...

this one i used a drum sander the remove the majority of the wood and i used a sanding block by hand with 60 grit to finish it up

mz...it is a recessed trem(floyd.)

this is one of the biggest misconceptions that a neck angle is needed for a floyd...it is not needed,all you need is 3/16" from the top of the body to the bottom of the fingerboard,if your fingerboard is 1/4" thick.

i don't understand why so many believe it is needed as most ibanez guitars have a floyd and no neck angle.i have a rgt i take my measurements from for such things

but a neck angle does look nice in some instances

just a few questions:

1.) i am building a neck-thru with a tune-o-matic bridge, i will need a neck angle right?

2.) are carbon rods necessary on a quartersawn 3 piece laminate neck-thru guitar? if so, what is the best way to install them?

3.) do you need dowels or biscuits between the joining of the wings to the body?

answered questions will be greatly appreciated. :D

The neck shaping method i learned was using a spokeshave and rasps to get the overall shape and dimensions established, and then sanding just to smooth it out.

yeah i need to get some more rasps and spokeshaves...i think for a beginner like me sandpaper is pretty safe though...and the end results are the same

are you going to do natural binding around the drop top on the body?