New Design

a little while ago i designed a new guitar. it doesnt have a name yet. but its being called a GT for now, since i designed it as a goldtop to begin with.

a trip to the woodyard got me a nice big chunk of fijian mahogany - enough for two bodies and two three-piece necks, as well as a plank of plain sycamore big enough for three bookmatched tops. the sycamore is very straight grained, and so not terribly exciting.

also, recently i got my very first bandsaw. and i think im in love. how i ever managed without one is beyond me!!

so for this one, its going to be a goldtop with p90s. im waiting on a nice piece of flame maple to do a burst with the other bits of mahogany, but for now here's this one.

blanks ready

01.jpg

body shaped - the ledge is just to get the binding level set before i start doing angles and carving

SAM_1770.jpg

and so you can see it properly these are the body and headstock templates

SAM_1771.jpg

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ghostbusters!

No really, I think this will be a nice guitar :D

Personally I would re-check the headstock design. That is maybe too much with the strongly curved body. But then again I don't like much of them PRS guitars...

Good luck with the bandsaw. One of the most versatile tools!

/henri

yesterday i got the logos cut out only to find my dremel had broken, so i couldnt inlay them. which was a bugger. so i made a couple of truss rod covers from the same black/white/black veneer sandwich as the back of the headstocks instead.

07.jpg

and got the neck pocket done so once im ready to do it its all set to be glued together. but theres lots to do before that yet.

because i dont have a flat end to the fretboards, i cant just route straight through the top like on a les paul, so i have to have a step in the neck

10.jpg

09.jpg

08.jpg

a catch up then

heres the chamber and wire route

11.jpg

and after a couple of hours with some tiny planes

12.jpg

13.jpg

im leaving it rough till its glued together and the bindings on, then i can get it all nice and right. also, the ledge for the recurve with be very useful for clamps

also also, heres the top for the burst

02.jpg

i intended to get the burst body up to speed with the goldtop today (saturday), but 4 week old nephew got in the way of that. not literally obviously, he's not capable of that yet.

so heres where i got to instead. got the mahogany bandsawed and routed and thicknessed, the top thicknessed and the binding route done. and the recurve shelf half done.

03.jpg

also, my pot of gold came!! oooo

14.jpg

both are pretty much at the same point now. im going to have to get a new dremel, then i can do the headstock logos before i glue the necks in. the burst headstock will get bound i have decided now, while the goldtop wont. i got the fretboards and binding today so i can get on with them (until the point where i need to do the inlay. bugger.)

so, heres the burst

05.jpg

and both together. remember the carve is staying rough till its all glued together, then i can finish it off properly

06-1.jpg

and this is the ivoroid binding

04-1.jpg

not personally. i just got one because they're not taking card details over email anymore, you have to ring them. which i hate doing.

i put some little bits of binding in acetone a few hours ago. they've kinda glooped together and at the minute are a bit like chewing gum, so maybe all hope isnt lost. i shall see what its like tomorrow

I complained to Tonetech about the binding not dissolving in Acetone other than the surface layer gumming up. They replaced it with an alternative product which didn't look as good in the raw but looked fantastic after installing plus it bonded nicely with Acetone. Same stuff I used on my Macassar multiscale bass (which I still need to complete).

Same as many people, I found that my old Black n' Decker Dremel copy was actually better than a Dremel. Better build and heft to it. If I recall, a lot of people complained about the bearings or the bearing mounts on the Dremel being dodgy. Whether this has been solved, was an isolated case or whatever I am not sure. Either way, I still prefer my gaudy orange B&D to the Dremel. It's just a name. Like Coke and Loctite. I prefer to buy generic brands, like "beer" and "superglue".

Word of advice Hoogle - do your photography in daylight. Flash and/or artificial lighting makes works in progress look untidy and completely unlike how things look in person. Use the fact that you get daylight during winter to your best advantage. :D

Same as many people, I found that my old Black n' Decker Dremel copy was actually better than a Dremel. Better build and heft to it. If I recall, a lot of people complained about the bearings or the bearing mounts on the Dremel being dodgy. Whether this has been solved, was an isolated case or whatever I am not sure. Either way, I still prefer my gaudy orange B&D to the Dremel. It's just a name. Like Coke and Loctite. I prefer to buy generic brands, like "beer" and "superglue".

Word of advice Hoogle - do your photography in daylight. Flash and/or artificial lighting makes works in progress look untidy and completely unlike how things look in person. Use the fact that you get daylight during winter to your best advantage. :D

i've had two cheap 'copies' before and they have never lasted too long and always felt cheap. this one feels nice and has variable speed, which is good.

i always take pics after im done with the day, and by that time its always dark. at least in winter anyway. and im too impatient to wait till morning hehe.

also - "Donald Duck Overdriven by a Bulldozer" - what!?

also - "Donald Duck Overdriven by a Bulldozer" - what!?

Study the curves, nothing more than that. Study, think and learn.

You are a luthier, and I'm not. You can build guitars that are beautifully made and the play well (I guess). Something I may not ever be able to do. With some attention to the detail you can make beautiful design too.

Edited by henrim

for other people who dont know, we've already had this conversation. some people really like this design, as well as a couple of others iv done, whilst others (including you) really dont. as i said before, you cant please everyone. some people think paris hilton is "hot". i think she looks like shes been hit repeatedly with a shovel. and so on and so forth.

in fact, on another forum, some people (regarding another design) assumed that i was a professional designer. not a guitar designer, a graphic or other designer. im not saying therefore im fantastic and you're wrong. its just down to opinion. i like these designs. you dont.

i like my version better than yours. maybe other people would like yours better

guitar.png

for other people who dont know, we've already had this conversation. some people really like this design, as well as a couple of others iv done, whilst others (including you) really dont. as i said before, you cant please everyone. some people think paris hilton is "hot". i think she looks like shes been hit repeatedly with a shovel. and so on and so forth.

in fact, on another forum, some people (regarding another design) assumed that i was a professional designer. not a guitar designer, a graphic or other designer. im not saying therefore im fantastic and you're wrong. its just down to opinion. i like these designs. you dont.

I sent that pic to you to get an idea what I was talking about. I asked if I can post something in to your thread, you did not approve and I sent it to you in a PM!

It is a quickly butchered sketch in photoshop to show where I think you were wrong. It was not how I think it should have been done, anyhow it shows the areas you should work on with...

The headstock, if you want it to look like donald duck, that is your choice... It is a matter of opinion.

But the bass side of the body. It is not just mater of opinion. It is out of shape. If you cannot figure out why please ask and I'll analyze it for you...

EDIT: changed Anyhow to anyhow,

Edited by henrim

it is a matter of opinion though. before all the forum troubles where posts were deleted, people on this thread had already said they loved the shape. are they wrong too? just because you think its wrong doesnt make it fact. if you want to tell my why i and others are wrong go for it

I sent that pic to you to get an idea what I was talking about. I asked if I can post something in to your thread, you did not approve and I sent it to you in a PM!

It is a quickly butchered sketch in photoshop to show where I think you were wrong. It was not how I think it should have been done, anyhow it shows the areas you should work on with...

The headstock, if you want it to look like donald duck, that is your choice... It is a matter of opinion.

But the bass side of the body. It is not just mater of opinion. It is out of shape. If you cannot figure out why please ask and I'll analyze it for you...

EDIT: changed Anyhow to anyhow,

Henrim,

I think its funny how your trying to tell Hooglebug he is wrong on his own original design...if ya don't like it, go read another thread!

Hoogle,

I personally really like the overall design, i think the headstock really goes well with it. IMO the upper bout could be shaved a little but this is my opinion. I have a drawing of a new design i drew 2 years ago and the end of the fretboard is almost identical to yours...great minds think alike! :D