FireFly

Misc Stuff About Life IV

By the way,Time Warner dared to raise my cable cost up $10 a month...that thinking is going to cost them a customer.

Off topic a bit,but how the hell do you figure out what you really want to do with your life when you can't shut up the multiple voices in your head that are arguing over it?

Obviously in truth I would love to become a niche guitar builder(I have an idea for a niche which I ain't giving up),but it is such a risk when I know I could stay at a job in which I am as far as I can go and put back a couple of thousand a month for nice trips to different places two weeks a year and a fat bank account and all i have to trade is my chance at ever being happy or fulfilled(unless i give up my dreams and settle)

I have already done this calculation, and talked with several successful niche builders (mostly acoustic builders). You need years of building to establish a rep, so you'd need to do both jobs for prob. 5 years or more before thinking about making any kind of guitar profit.

In the iron trade, isn't there a risk that you get laid off when you get old enough that your physical skills start to deteriorate? I mean how many 50+ year old iron workers do you see on the job? That's when you might want to transition into a successful building biz - but you'd need at least another Conex for a shop, prob. two.

My grand plan *was* to stick with the day job until I retired, then transition into building. But that plan may be changing in a major way.

New years resolutions for Amiee:

1. Stop being so bitter towards the company I work for and be proud that I have a job that uses my skillset.

2. Stop complaining

3. Eat healthier and exercise at least a half hour a day.

4. Make this new place home for more than 6 months.

5. Build a guitar, and finish that violin.

6. Stop passively flirting with older men on PG to make myself feel attractive.

But then of course I worry that I am slowly losing my edge in my field because every year I get less invested in running a tight ship and more invested in trying to treat my crew as people...something which I have learned in Ironwork is a losing proposition,because most of them see being nice as a weakness and start being disrespectful if you show them even a little compassion.One guy thinks another foreman is weak because when the guy got mad about something the foreman tried to talk nice to him(out of respect for me since the guy is part of my crew),and a few days later I overheard him saying that foreman was "kissing his ass".

I told him if I was not there the foreman would have fired him,and if he had fired him I would not have taken him back...but the guy only sees that as me being strong and the other foreman being weak...

How do you work guys like that without losing your mind?

Being strong and treating people like human beings are not mutually exclusive....and that is obviously not a foreign concept to you. Some folks respond better to higher porportions of strenght, others to more compassion, but your guy sounds like a real jewel; I would have told him the same thing you did.

I really hate it when your most capaple guy is your biggest jack#ss.

SR

6. Stop passively flirting with older men on PG to make myself feel attractive.

Lol...that last one is a kick in the nads for all the older guys that think they might still have a slim chance!

I was once in the Uk air force....95% men & 5% ugly women who clearly needed to vindicate themselves (& believe me no matter how aesthetically challenged the female of the species is, put them in an enviroment where it's 95% males....and some poor misguided soul will eventually bite & boost a swamp monster's faltering ego).

wes to be honest I really have no good answer other than I want one.

Amiee I like your plan stop being so passive you should be more active. I will PM you my number so you can text me.

Scott I have found you can be a jackass that does a good job and not get fired or you can slack off and just suck up to everyone and not get fired. I'm just not socially skilled enough to suck up.

Tim, you are nuts on correct, although the jackasses that do a good job will last longer most times. Most of those being sucked up to really do see what's going on. I can't see you as a suck up, but I can't see you as a jackass either, so you must just be doing a good job.

Irky, Amiee doesn't have to flirt with us older guys to feel attractive; she is attractive....or is that her twin sister?......one of them is attractive and one is pretty; I can't keep up with which is which.

You've got it spot on though, her attention does make all those old guys feel better about themselves. :D

SR

You've got it spot on though, her attention does make all those old guys feel better about themselves. :D

SR

Not me, I know I'm old, fat and damn ugly now. I make no pretenses about that,and as far as Aimee flirting with me, she doesn't, so it's not a problem. :D

Well, me either, but she talks to us, and that's enough to make me smile. :D

I like coming here and reading what you all have to say :D

I'd appear on the rest of the forum, but while I'm at work and on break, I surf with my blackberry. The pics in all the other parts of the forum are too big for it to handle. I mean... it can handle them, but I like looking at big pictures with lots of detail. And when I get home, I get really distracted and don't go on the forum or do projects or anything. I'm really busy setting this place up and making everything the way I want to.

I love my new home!

Well, me either, but she talks to us, and that's enough to make me smile.

Yeah,but Aimee I have to say that if what you are doing on here is flirting then you need more practice,because it really feels more like conversation...

But yes,you are pretty...or attractive....or both :D

Actually you are thin enough for me to put my hands entirely around your waist and touch fingers...so that makes you just my type...it's one of only two criteria I have...

The other is a squeaky high pitched voice,which I don't know if you have or not,but it is a necessity for me because I can't hear female voices that approach any sort of huskiness...years of rhythm guitar on high volume :D

I have already done this calculation, and talked with several successful niche builders (mostly acoustic builders). You need years of building to establish a rep, so you'd need to do both jobs for prob. 5 years or more before thinking about making any kind of guitar profit.

In the iron trade, isn't there a risk that you get laid off when you get old enough that your physical skills start to deteriorate? I mean how many 50+ year old iron workers do you see on the job? That's when you might want to transition into a successful building biz - but you'd need at least another Conex for a shop, prob. two.

My grand plan *was* to stick with the day job until I retired, then transition into building. But that plan may be changing in a major way.

I was kind of just venting...but to answer your concerns,I really do mean "niche"...and with my super low overhead "profit" is a relative term.I really can't go into detail at the moment,but it certainly isn't custom building.

Yeah,age is a big factor in my career...the guy i replaced was laid off at the age of 50 for getting too old and absent minded.And I don't need another conex,I now have an empty garage.$2000 would turn it into an enclosed space with a heater/ac and get me a bigger bandsaw and such.

Not that I want to start a huge business...i just want to build for fun and maybe make a living when combined with other stuff I do.

By the way,Fly,that is why some younger women like the older men...because we know how to make you girls feel pretty...young guys are too busy being impressed with themselves and with trying to make you see how little you matter to them...

So you just keep on "flirting" and we older men will keep trying to make you feel pretty... :D

Well at least we appear to have some posting abilities again.

Big weekend for me.Fuel pump started going out on my Yukon and it was running very poorly as a result,so I had to drop the gas tank and replace the pump.very hard work,but it's done now and runs great

yeah its a lot easier to replace those on a truck ya just pull the bed off.

really its easier.

woohoo we are back.

yeah its a lot easier to replace those on a truck ya just pull the bed off.

Yes I know.

unfortunately on this one I also needed to clean the tank out,so I had to pull it out and swab the inside with a rag...it had some kind of trash down there.Anyway it was about a $500 weekend...$100 for the diagnosis at the dealer(because I wasn't going to drop the tank on a "maybe")and $350 for the pump and assembly(my float was broken off so I replaced the whole shootin' match),plus incidentals.But it was worth it because now it runs great and I used AC Delco so it should last another 120,000 miles at least

I've got some terrible bronchitis. Holy crap.

My rent is late, but I can't get into the shop to work because I feel totally drained and miserable. Not a good scenario.

:D

There is definitely something going around Texas lately.Everybody is sick,coughing,sneezing,feeling horrible...

It may just be Cedar Fever,but it sucks.

Apparently we have lost the stats...I know we were at 1200 and some odd pages,but no stats on views and replies