Kahler'ed Acoustic

I'm thinking of having a custom acoustic made but instead of a traditional bridge, I want a Kahler tremolo installed such as the one at this link

http://www.kahlerusa.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=25

I do not foresee any soundboard issues if I use a light gauge string set and I know that I'd have to modify the bridge plate and make it bigger. This might also force a reduction in the length of the braces.

My question is, do any of you experienced acoustic builders foresee any structural issues with adding this.

I'm working with Martin to have a custom made. Since I work for the company, I get a 60% discount on two guitars per year. However, the custom shop guys aren't sure if they are allowed to deviate this far from the traditional Martin so I might have to look elsewhere. If you are a builder and you are up for the task, shoot me a PM for a basic Dreadnaught, Sitka top, rosewood back and sides with an ebony fretboard. Chrome hardware is great, no electronics and no fretboard inlays (other than position markers on the side of the board.

I'm not an experienced acoustic builder, but I've done a bit of research for work on hybrids. I'll throw in my 2 cents, for what it's worth.

I would be concerned about structural stability. In an acoustic bridge, the strings pull up and forward at the bridge pins and push down on the saddle. Pressure is distributed across the bridge. So the strings are pulling the bridge away from the soundboard at the bridge pins, but they're simultaneously pushing the bridge pins down. On an archtop, the tailpiece is where the strings attach, and there's a reason you don't see tailpieces attached directly to soundboards. By putting the connection between the bridge and the soundboard forward of the saddles, you're taking away the part that's pushing the bridge into the soundboard. It's just trying to pull it off there, which is why you see these attached on solid bodies.

That's not to say it can't work. But you'd have a fundamental change in the way the bridge interacts with the soundboard. It wouldn't be the same "wobble" that happens with an acoustic bridge, nor would it be the down-up you get with an archtop bridge. The sound you'd get would not be like either. It would be unpredictable. You'd need to do some major reinforcing at the bridge plate, and that's going to effect the sound too.

All that being said, I like crazy ideas, and this certainly qualifies. Just think through it if you're gonna move forward. It's a BIG deviation.

Here is a Selmer style guitar with a Floyd attached. Fake or not? I'll leave that up to you. However I *think* that a Kahler might have an even better chanse to work as it hase a big contact area instead of the two studs used for the Floyd.

EDIT: Oups lost the link somewere, but YetzerHaran made sure it was posted, thanks!

The aforementioned video

I'm also obviously far from an expert, but I had a couple thoughts. First off, I think that a Stetsbar might be a better option. If it's got to be a Kahler I think that I'd want to either do f-holes, or a soundhole moved to the side, so that I could do parallel bracing & run it under the mounting of the kahler. There're a lot of other options too if you're willing to do it less like you would on an electric, then you could extend the tail block & mount it strait to the block (through the top, remove the saddles, & put on an archtop roller bridge, like you would with a Bigsby.

On a lighter note, have you talked to Gary Kahler? I know that Neal's close with him, maybe he can put you in touch, & who knows, maybe he's got some ideas floating around.

If a Floyd can work, I'm certain that a kahler can work. Not to mention, that a classical has less bracing and a thinner soundboard than a dreadnaught. Now to convince the custom shop at martin to install one for me. However, I might just complete the mod on one of my acoustics before I plunk down the cash for a custom built Martin... even at 50 or 60% off, that's still a lot of cash.

The aforementioned video

I'm also obviously far from an expert, but I had a couple thoughts. First off, I think that a Stetsbar might be a better option. If it's got to be a Kahler I think that I'd want to either do f-holes, or a soundhole moved to the side, so that I could do parallel bracing & run it under the mounting of the kahler. There're a lot of other options too if you're willing to do it less like you would on an electric, then you could extend the tail block & mount it strait to the block (through the top, remove the saddles, & put on an archtop roller bridge, like you would with a Bigsby.

On a lighter note, have you talked to Gary Kahler? I know that Neal's close with him, maybe he can put you in touch, & who knows, maybe he's got some ideas floating around.

dude needs to invest in a jigsaw.

if i where gonna try this i would go with a bigsby.