Pickup Mounting Rings

It does sort of matter. I personally think something like Jello would make terrible pickup rings. I can't never get screws to hang on in Jello. The same thing goes for earthworms. TERRIBLE material to work with, by the way. Most metals, woods, and plastics work just fine though.

Jello is worth the extra effort though. It totally dampens all the vibrations from the wood that would be present in a direct mount or more rigid ring. That way the signal is not influenced by anything and all you get is pure pick-up tone. Makes all the difference in the world.

SR

It does sort of matter. I personally think something like Jello would make terrible pickup rings. I can't never get screws to hang on in Jello. The same thing goes for earthworms. TERRIBLE material to work with, by the way. Most metals, woods, and plastics work just fine though.

Jello is worth the extra effort though. It totally dampens all the vibrations from the wood that would be present in a direct mount or more rigid ring. That way the signal is not influenced by anything and all you get is pure pick-up tone. Makes all the difference in the world.

SR

Stop it. This is quite silly.

Also do not forget to answer the question before being silly as we are supposed to be noob friendly here!!!!

I hate pickup rings... but if I had to use them I prefer the more solid choice. So were I an I would use metal or solid plastic if available.

Cheers!

Also do not forget to answer the question before being silly as we are supposed to be noob friendly here!!!!

I did answer the post before I got silly. :D

In fact, you crossed my mind while I was getting silly, since I know how much you love pick up rings.

Hey, my post was entirely factual and accurate.

That's true, it was.

Toneblind, we'd love to see what kind of design for rings you come up with, along with a report on how much work you have to do to finish the aluminum after cutting it with the water jet.

SR

Hey, my post was entirely factual and accurate. :D

+1

I did answer the post before I got silly. :D

In fact, you crossed my mind while I was getting silly, since I know how much you love pick up rings.

Hey, my post was entirely factual and accurate.

That's true, it was.

Toneblind, we'd love to see what kind of design for rings you come up with, along with a report on how much work you have to do to finish the aluminum after cutting it with the water jet.

SR

+1

And man do I hate pickup rings... but I have a solution just need to get it done <stay tuned>.