Entry for May 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now openĀ ENTER HERE!

bigdguitars

Poor Mans Burst With Various Dyes

I don't know about BigD, but I've gotten my best results with Transtint (which is what stewmac rebottles, marks up, and sells as Colortone from what I hear). They've vibrant, mix with water OR alcohol (important depending on the finish you put over it), available at Woodcraft stores for easy access.... the list of positives stacks up quickly.

Also, they're good, color-fast dyes :P

My $0.02,

Chris

• Like 1

Thank Chris! I'm going to be using a piece of alder for this build, doing a tele. Now I'd like to grain fill a bit as there is some blemishes and gouges, even after sanding for days. I have a water based, clear grain filler/putty and water based sanding sealer and top clear coat. Will it work to use the dyes in water if I plan to putty? Or will I need to use the alcohol based?

I generally try and use the opposite dye solution than my finish. IE: For waterbased finishes I would use an alcohol dye. For nitro, I use a water dye, etc.

Chris

GENERALLY... no. But I've heard there are chance of dye being pulled out of the wood (minor) into the finish layers which can make it less "crisp."

I've generally avoided it... so it's hard for me to answer objectively.

Chris