Project S907_express

Most guys really understood and listened when I talked about pickups and how the lower ohm pickup is capable of a much fuller range of tones... but they believed when they played them.

Funny how people mis-associate pickup output with instrument output. A nice cool pickup (PAF clones are the classic example of course) juiced up a little by a pre-amp kicks far more arse than an excessively overwound overly inductive copperball (there's a name you can have if you want it) banged up to the gills with ceramic mags. Overwound pickups have their place of course, but it's difficult to find good ones that aren't one trick ponys.

Still, people will think what they're told to by the marketing wash. Good to hear that you are freeing people from The Matrix, RAD. Perhaps you need a pickup model called "The Rabbit Hole" or "The Red Pill".

Good lord that last one is HOT!

What is that back wood? Peruvian Walnut?

And as you have surely already surmised, I am very much in the lower ohm fuller tonal range camp.

Get the tone first- then blast it around any way you please.

SR

The last one...

S9 Drifter

Figured Northern ash top with a Peruvian Walnut body. Sipo neck with a Macassar Ebony board and Ash headplate. Experimental low angle headstock. Thin body provides improved ergonomics and reduced weight. Neck shape provides stress and fatigue relief. Wide string spacing and flat radius add to playability.

Top: Figured Northern Ash

Body : Peruvian Walnut

Neck : Sipo

Fretboard : Macassar Ebony

Scale : 25.5" 24-fret 16" Radius 1.75" Nut

Trussrod : ALLPARTS Double Action

Tuners : Hipshot Grip-Lock

Pickups : Diablo Humbuckers

Bridge : Hipshot

Electronics : Vol/3-way

Finish: Behlens Teak Oil with Polyurethane topcoat

Love the combination of woods on Drifter. The contrast of the walnut on the back in that front-on shot almost makes it look like it's being shadowed by its evil alter-ego.

How are you finding the low angle headstock? I was under the impression that low angles can accentuate behind-the-nut sympathetic string ringing while playing?

How are you finding the low angle headstock? I was under the impression that low angles can accentuate behind-the-nut sympathetic string ringing while playing?

Not a fan. I am going to stick with my 14 degree headstock. It is very convenient when building as it lays flat against the table. Also awesome to use a single piece of wood. I think the string tension feels slinkier with the lower angle.

As for the wood combos. They are awesome. The northern ash adds a little pop to the smooth warm tones. It is very versatile and LP like at the same time.