#4 Has An F-hole

ScottR

That is going to be amazing when it's done. Such a deep, rich color.

I noticed the same with Z-poxy, it really has darkened up the surfaces that I've used it on, in particular on redwood burl. It made it a similarly dark, deep, and rich color. I've loved the effect so far, but I can see there might be situations where it would darken it too much...

How did you use/apply the Z-Poxy when you used it? I've been using it kind of like tru-oil and it looks very similar. I's a little more involved to use and it doesn't flow out as well but it does act like an oil in terms of the depth and richness it adds. It has a bit of an oily feel and the amber color may have something to do with that I imagine.

go radioactive diamond glow in the dark fookin mirror of the gods.

That's more what I was thinking. :lol:

SR

Yes. Do that. Looking gorgeous. I can't wait to work with something quilted someday.

Figured maple is awesome. I like being a little different so I was a little torn about using it....everyone uses it to the point of being overdone. But it is so cool, that everyone ought to use it at least once.

Why miss out on the fun?

SR

How did you use/apply the Z-Poxy when you used it? I've been using it kind of like tru-oil and it looks very similar. I's a little more involved to use and it doesn't flow out as well but it does act like an oil in terms of the depth and richness it adds. It has a bit of an oily feel and the amber color may have something to do with that I imagine.

I applied it with a credit card. Wiped it across the grain. It worked OK, but required a bit more sanding afterwards than I would have liked. I may have to try wiping it on like tru oil. On one guitar, I cut the z-poxy 50/50 with denatured alcohol on the last coat to thin it out and have less work to do after that last coat. But that was after a couple of thick coats to fill the pores.

If you look at the back of the bass that I just finished, all the amber color on that came from the z-poxy. The ash was a typical 'ash white' before the z-poxy.

Dammit!

So I've discovered over the last two builds that I'm becoming OCD at this stage. I've spent the last two weeks fiulling leveling recoating sanding tinting sanding leveling filling sanding leveling tinting sanding and on and on and on.

I was sure I'd be spraying before the day was over, but I keep finding things I want to do first.

I'm done filling. I'm nearly done leveling. I'm going to sand through at least one more grade on the body. I've got work to do on the neck to body transition. The woodworking part is fine even really good if I don't say so myself, but I've got to work on the burst and blend of color.

During this process I've learned that you can tint Z-Poxy with alcohol based dye, even if it is cured. I'm going to re-airbrush the black burst onth the edges and barely into the top and back and neck join and touch up the blend on the neck to body join as needed....then spray nitro.

It should only be a day or so away....I'll post the re-burst before srpaying.

These shots will give you a pretty good idea of what this would look like in a satin finish.

IMG_1726.JPG

IMG_1727.JPG

IMG_1728.JPG

IMG_1729.JPG

SR

Looks like you and I both had one of those weekends... you know 8 hours in the shop of very necessary work but very little to show.

Exactly.

It's very difficult to show what was done.....but if you didn't do it, it would stick out like a sore thumb. I lightly resprayed the black burst last night and just might get the first light coats of nitro on tonight.

On another note, the claw marks are essentially invisible right now. There were even before I touched up the burst. I had gotten used to seeing them even to the point of beginning to like the "character" they added. This is my original color scheme plan; it wasn't developed to hide them, but the steps taken and the order of them were necessary to fill them without damaging the dye or leaving the interior of the gouges undyed. The clear coat will be like opening a window and being able to see everything going on in the top. It will be interesting to see if they show back up.

SR

Earlier this week I did spray some more black burst with my airbrush onto the Z-Poxy. Since it was mostly touch up work and didn't show any noticeable changes, I didn't post any pics. I started clear coating this week and after several coats....5 or 6 maybe, I mixed up some black dye with lacquer thinner and added an equal amount of lacquer and airbrushed some more burst with a tint layer. After leveling the lacquer of course. After spraying I lightly micromeshed through the grits from the middle out to remove any overspray from everywhere but the edges. Here are some attempts to capture what that looked like.

IMG_1731.JPG

IMG_1733.JPG

IMG_1735.JPG

IMG_1736.JPG

SR

IMG_1737.JPG

IMG_1738.JPG

Then I sprayed the next to last coats.....and here theit is with orange peel and a run in all its glory. :rolleyes:

IMG_1739.JPG

IMG_1740.JPG

I've just sprayed the last coats, and so it will hang for a couple of weeks.

I've only gotten glimpses of how its going to look polished out........but that finish is deeeeeeeeep.

SR

• Like 1

Then I laid in some amber. This is pretty cool as is.

IMG_1672.jpg

SR

I am stealing this idea. Sorry... you are not getting any royalties but I will have an "Amber Fire" finish this year. That is sick.

+1 for me. This top finish is amazing haha I will give credit it and call it the SR stain job :-P

Anyway, I'm happy to see that its getting a gloss top. This is one of the threads i keep watching closely :) Great work!

Thanks guys. I'm finding it very difficult to capture the color in a picture. Workingman's lava description comes pretty close. The dark areas of the figure are nearly black, but if you take it out into the sun and shift the angles, that dark area flips completely to the hot red with amber hints and the highlighted areas go dark. That's the way its supposed to work, but I got the contrasts so high, I wasn't sure it was going to. I can't wait to see what I have when it's all buffed out.

SR

• 3 weeks later...

So, it's been a day or two. While the lacquer was curing, I took a 10 day trip to Colorado (4 of them just driving back and forth from Houston) camping in the mountains with my son. We had a grand finale with a show at Red Rocks, and damn but that was the highlight of the trip...even before the first band came on stage. What a phenomenal place! Everyone that likes music should put it on their bucket list.

Anyway, since I've been back I've started on the leveling and polishing process.the shiniest of the following shots are only half way through the process....but that's where I am. I did my best to capture the shade of red this thing has....which is very dificult....but you'll get the general idea. Hopefully I get it finished this weekend and can work on getting it set up......

IMG_1746.JPG

IMG_1749.JPG

IMG_1750.JPG

IMG_1751.JPG

SR

I'm not sure I like this Cardinal lacquer from LMI. It has left some bubbles in areas that I sprayed a little too thick and they are had to buff out. I have been melting them with a very thinned lacquer brushed on.....we'll see how it goes.

IMG_1761.JPG

IMG_1762.JPG

IMG_1763.JPG

IMG_1764.JPG

SR

• Like 1

Happy birthday indeed! Scott, this guitar is looking absolutely stunning. Very unique equally as gorgeous. If it sounds like it looks, you have a definite winner on your hands.

Thanks Mike. It's got a pair of Rad's humbuckers going in it, so it ought to sound outstanding!

Pestvic, I still have 5 grades of micromesh to go before I buff with polishing compound. More shine to come!

SR

• Like 1

I'm not sure I like this Cardinal lacquer from LMI. It has left some bubbles in areas that I sprayed a little too thick and they are had to buff out. I have been melting them with a very thinned lacquer brushed on.....we'll see how it goes.

IMG_1764.jpg

SR

Great stuff Scott, it looks comfy and beautiful

• Like 1