#4 Has An F-hole

ScottR

• 3 weeks later...

Actually that is not a phenomenon restricted to Z-Poxy. I've seen it with every type of glue I've used: Titebond, CA, and all the different brands of epoxy I've used. It is a phenomenon of wood movement. When the joint is a pocket or capture type, like a set neck for example, is where you'll see this most often. Even finished wood still exchanges moisture with the surrounding air mass. This is a case of wood taking on a little moisture and swelling. In a capture type joint like a neck pocket, both the body wood and the neck wood swell ever so slightly, making a tighter joint and also squeezing the glue out just a bit. The same thing happened with this crack--boths sides swelled just a bit and squeezed the epoxy out just a hair. When it gets dryer around here it may go back down--I've seen that happen as well.

SR

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As you may have read elsewhere, I ordered a new amp to go with my latest two builds. One of the very cool things about this Catagory 5 Ivan is the voltage control. It does not work like a gain or drive control. It allows you to set your volumes to get whatever tone and overdrive you want and retain all that tone at levels that don't disturb the neighbors. Many amps make that claim, this one actually works.

IMG_2185.JPG

IMG_2191.JPG

IMG_2194.JPG

IMG_2195.JPG

Here are several tracks at various settings using the F-hole guitar from the jam session test drive.

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12063504&q=hi&newref=1

http://www.soundclick.com/player/single_player.cfm?songid=12063505&q=hi&newref=1

SR

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I love the hipshot but it suffers from strat bridge syndrome. Not as bad because they are very well made but still the saddles are not locked in place. There are screws and springs that can cause unwanted noise.

Maybe going a bit OT, however still relevant. A bit of surgical tubing or heatshrink over the rear springs does wonders for that "pathetic reverb chamber" thing going on in the back. I'm sure you know of this already but hey.

The electric mando is done so it's time to reclaim another build from photobucket. Going a few years back now, it's interesting to see how my methods have evolved.

The commentary from five years back is fascinating too...

And once again, don't mind me; I'm adding a post to make it easy to find my spot when I come back to continue replacing pics. This one is a bit of a challenge as I appear to have spun my story in a different order than I took my pics in some spots. A bit of detective work is involved to get the pics in the correct places to make sense with the narrative.

SR