The Owl And The Fox

This years build is going to be a 24 fret strat with gold plated EMG 81/85 pickups, laminated neck blank and a angled headstock. After a lot of thinking I have decided to go with the Cocobolo drop top that has a little owl and fox in the figure.

First off is to square up the drop top edges ready for gluing. I check the fit by viewing the joint and if you cant see day light then its a good fit. Clamp up and have the long wait.

DSC_6838.jpg

DSC_6840.jpg

DSC_6842.jpg

DSC_6843.jpg

Used my brand new drum sander for the first time today. I'm a bit disapointed. The new £40 worth of sanding belts cloged straight away and gave horrible lines on the tops. They will come out at final sanding but its not the point. The cherry one was for ebay but nobody wil buy this now.

I'm a bit sad. Things like this always seems to happen to me.

DSC_6846.jpg

DSC_6849.jpg

DSC_6851.jpg

:D

Cocobolo is very oily as you found out.... Sandpaper will almost always get loaded up quickly, and the dust balls up with the oils....

will the tops be fine? yes.... use a scraper that is very sharp and you will be ok.... take long strokes and don't cut into the wood, but allow it to pull.... if you haven't used a scraper, practice on offcuts first then just go for it

Cocobolo is very oily as you found out.... Sandpaper will almost always get loaded up quickly, and the dust balls up with the oils....

will the tops be fine? yes.... use a scraper that is very sharp and you will be ok.... take long strokes and don't cut into the wood, but allow it to pull.... if you haven't used a scraper, practice on offcuts first then just go for it

+1. This is how I do it.

This Cocobolo seems like difficult wood to work with.

But it is soooooo worth it.

SR

+1

could you not run one of these magical devices on the paper?

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=20192&cat=1,42500

No. It will just make rubber buggers all over the place. In general Belt cleaners only work on woods that can be cleared with 90 PSI air blower...

The only way to fix the paper now is what Chris said.

I don't bother cleaning the paper... I just do all my Coco at the same time using 60 grit paper as the heavier grit clogs less. Then I fix it all up with a scraper. I am going to be doing several Coco tops this year so I will document the process.

Also I use T-88 (thanks SR) to glue Coco to anything as it is one of the few glues that doesn't care how oily the Coco is.

Thanks for all the advice.

Once it was glued up it was too wide for the thicknesser so I used the drum sander. Its the main reason I bought the drum sander to run glued up tops and bodies through as I'm not the best at glueing up and always end up with a lip. Just a pass either side on the drum sander gives a perfect top or body blank.

I found out the hard way about Cocobolo but its not the end of the world.

Was going to cut and plane the laminated black walnut and maple neck blank but after getting all the toys, piles of washing and other assorted workshop pap out of the way my 6 month old band saw just wont fire up so thats it until I can get it sorted. Photo of the blank in its rough state.

I'm not sure it will work with the coco top and fretboard.

DSC_6875.jpg

Got the neck blank finished. I got 4 neck blanks out of it altogether but I just dont think they will go with a Cocobolo fretboard. I just did not think long and hard enough about the design before I started making saw dust. I never learn. Think I'll put them on ebay the next free listing weekend :-\

DSC_6886.jpg

DSC_6888.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A little bit of progress today after the weeks of "the wifes list of jobs to do".

I like bookmatching but the Padauk just was not thick enough and I had to take what I could get. I was thinking of running a length of Wenge down the center to break the two sides up as they are not book matched but I think I'll get awy with it as is.

DSC_6953.jpg

DSC_6959.jpg

I've jointed the edges. Tip Make sure the plank is cut parraelle or however you spell it as you will be routing forever.

DSC_6958.jpg

Next glue it up and clamp like hell

DSC_6963.jpg

The body blank turned out very good. Cant even find the glueline. The design is to have a 1.5mm thick laminate of dyed Sycamore then the Cocobolo on top of that.

I had bother with the Sycamore slipping so fingers crossed that it has'nt moved too much as there was only about 5mm each side to play with.

DSC_6995.jpg

DSC_6998.jpg

DSC_7003.jpg

Got all the profiling done today and its turned out great. I'm really happy with the outcome.

I used double sided sticky tape to keep the template in place and profiled it out with the router. I have a router table but I like this method the best. I just dont feel safe with a router table.

DSC_7037.jpg

Front back and side. The black Sycamore had turned out very well.

DSC_7039.jpg

DSC_7043.jpg

DSC_7045.jpg

This years build is going well.