The Owl And The Fox

I agree with huntindog. It does not look like it moved much at all. I don't see the frets ending up crooked enough with that little movement. If anything there will be the smallest little adjustment at the bridge with the saddles to compensate for the movement to correct the intonation. At least that's what I think. But if this is for a customer, its not that hard to remove the fretboard and reglue.

Yep, the first fret will be about 0.5 mm more towards the bridge on the treble side of the neck and o.5 mm more towards the nut on the bass side. It could be accommodated by adjusting the bridge saddles, its a personal choice to go that way or steam it off, how much time would that take? a few hours? I can't see any reason you couldn't glue the same fretboard back on if you go that way.

Thanks for all the advice but as RestorationAD said "I personally couldn't stand knowing it was off. It would drive me nuts" Its got to come off. So off it is. I'm also going to have a little holiday from guitar building as I'm rushing it and making mistakes through fustration. I was doing well on this build but its getting to me so time to step back.

I'll post when I have good news on progress.

Chins up

Lee

Thanks for all the advice but as RestorationAD said "I personally couldn't stand knowing it was off. It would drive me nuts" Its got to come off. So off it is. I'm also going to have a little holiday from guitar building as I'm rushing it and making mistakes through fustration. I was doing well on this build but its getting to me so time to step back.

I'll post when I have good news on progress.

Chins up

Lee

Good call :)

I'll not be gone long. Just one week before I even look at this build.

I am a bit of a drama queen but I want to build perfect guitars that have the wow factor.

See you all soon.

I do it all the time. Just put it on the shelf and go in the house... have a few drinks and do something else.

Also helps to have 10 or 12 builds going at the same time that way you can do something different for the weekend....

I personally would love to see that neck with a wenge fretboard.

Neck number 3 made and the fretboard is square this time. I've been using neck number 2 to practice scalloping. I'll profile the fretboard to size then decide if I'm going to do the same on neck 3 "the good neck" or just leave it un-scalloped. I'm unsure again.

DSC_7306.jpg

DSC_7307.jpg

DSC_7309.jpg

Edited by iluvteles

Pestvic, glad you like them. I do them this way because I'm not very good at doing the ends so I stop before I reach the end of the fretboard :blush

Today I've scalloped neck no 3 from the 17th to the 24th frets. I'll do final sanding and shapping when the dots are installed.

However when I profiled the fretboard to the neck it has revealed that the fretboard has not stuck down tight in some places. I AM NOT making a new neck so it will have to do. I am thinking about putting some black epoxy in to fill the gaps.

DSC_7319.jpg

DSC_7320.jpg

Thanks Scott. Do I put the CA in now or after I have installed the frets?

Take your pick. I usually wick a little CA into the bottom of the fret slot after fretting to seal it so that would be a perfect time.......if I could stand to wait. But I usually can't stand to wait once I've noticed a gap. I normally squirt a little puddle of CA into a dixie cup and use a real cheapo fine paint brush to fill those little gaps. The puddle in the cup stays fluid for much longer than you'd expect. The hairs of the brush do fuse pretty quickly, but it will still carry enough CA to wick in and you have a lot more control than trying to use the bottle with a tiny hole in the tip.

SR

Keep it rolling, this is gonna be stellar when you get it complete. Can't beleive all the neck whoopers you had to endure. If it's any solace, I have two necks sitting in the shop that have snafu's that rendered them useless. Both of them had BM'd coco fretboards. ^_^ Nicest looking necks I have attempted to date and I killed 'em.

Hope you get this one all ironed out. That gap may appear smaller once you clean up the wood a bit.