The Owl And The Fox

Abalone dots inlayed. Some of them went below the surface so they are not flush to the fretboard but they'll have to do as I'm not making another neck.

Scallopping complete. No disasters there.

I'm not really sure what to do next. The Ebony I got from Stew Mac is not jet black so I'm thinking of putting some black dye on and then a couple of coats of Danish Oil on before I whack the frets in but I'm concerned that the dye and oil will mess up the abalone and white plastic side dots. Help needed.

DSC_7324.jpg

DSC_7325.jpg

DSC_7328.jpg

Edited by iluvteles

Lee - I think RAD will appreciate the effort & persistance you are putting in to this - remember his Hand Of Doom build? That was a guitar that also didn't want to be built & fought him all the way! Look how it turned out. I think this could go the same way.

Personally I wouldn't dye the fretboard - I prefer it striped - and from what has happened with Bob Taylor & the supply of ebony we'd all better get used to it...lol.

I don't think that the dye will affect the side dots but it may discolour the abalone.

I took Wez's advice and the Ebony has came up well. I'm heading in the right direction now after a run of bad luck.

Frets now bashed in and the ends super glued. Tomorrow I'll file the ends flush and fill the holes in the fretboard fret ends.

DSC_7337.jpg

that looks sensational

The template is 9mm void free furniture plywood. It is CNC laser cut with a laser etched centerline. I would not make a guitar without one now.

If I have the right CAD drawing with the body, neck, and body features then I can produce the templates. However I dont do CAD so getting the correct drawing is hard to come by. I want a template set for a Ibanez ST50 but cant get the CAD work done. So I'll just have to wait.

It is very heavy. I should have chambered it but once again Lee rushes ahead. The body alone is 3kg so I'm expecting the finished guitar to be around 5 kg. Too heavy but its done now.

I have a northern ash tele that weighs in around that much... what a beast. I use it as a caveman weapon that I can shred on.

It is going to be a beast. Just hope it sustains long enough for a cold one and still be ringing.

Today I've drilled and couterbored for the neck fasterers. I've gone a bit deep on the counterbore because the fasteners I have are not that long. I bought the longest available before anybody say's get longer ones. They are a bit special. Just wait.

DSC_7374.jpg

DSC_7371.jpg