The Owl And The Fox

• 2 weeks later...

I've never gave the forum an update for a while so here goes:

The body has 3 coats of Danish oil and feels great except for the huge pores. I did not want to grain fill as I wanted the guitar to be as natural as possible. I dont mind the pores as they are a natural event and since it is my guitar, what I say goes :P

DSC_7399.jpg

I also gave a little nod to PRS

DSC_7400.jpg

The Owl incase anybody has forgoten

DSC_7402.jpg

The fox

DSC_7403.jpg

The neck that I have milled down to thickness. Since the neck is Ibanez spec I'm going to make the neck very thin

DSC_7406.jpg

DSC_7407.jpg

DSC_7408.jpg

DSC_7409.jpg

Thanks Bill

The volute: like all my guitar builds I just make it up as I go along. It was not planned in my original "in my head design". I did it when I was reducing the thickness of the headstock and decided to try and do a fancy volute. I've been doing the fretwork today and the volute is growing on me now. I'm glad I did it.

Your hardware choices look excellent with this top. The abalone tops of the knobs are throwing me a bit, but I do think they will tie in nicely with your fret markers. Beauty!

Personally, I've always seen two owls and a fox. You've got a pair of owls at the waist--one per side-- and then picturing each of them as one eye and the bookmatched grain below the bridge as the snout of the fox.......er, except it is more proportioned like the muzzle of a wolf. And the horns are ears.

SR

I've put strings on and give it a test. Its not set up but its just a test. It sounded real bad then I noticed that the lead was not pluged all the way in. Once it was all the way in (hmmmm) it just has one bassey tone. The volume, tone and toggle do not do anything all all. Just the same bassey tone no mater now I adjust the toggle and pots. The funny thing is: when the lead was not fully in the toggle and pots worked even though it sounded like it was under water.

Help is needed. Its the first time I have used or played active pickups.

There are wiring diagrams over on the EMG and Seymour Duncan website that should be pretty straight forward to follow (SD Blackouts are electrically the same thing as your EMGs). The most common mistake seems to be wiring up the output jack incorrectly. You need a stereo output jack to enable the battery to be disconnected when the guitar is unplugged to prevent the battery being run down - make sure you have the signal ouput wire wired to tip, battery negative lead wired to ring, and signal ground wired to sleeve.