Big Red

Muzz

I sanded the black off, I was tempted for a while to leave intense zebra stripes across it, yeah but nah, 99% came off

P8060758.jpg

leaving black in the pores

P8060759.jpg

Starting with dilute dye, then increasing the concentration

P8060760.jpg

P8060765.jpg

On Monday I will go to the shop and get some more Rustins Plastic Coating, I got three coats on before I ran out.

If you don't do chrome covers, I'd use either cream or white bobbins, whichever would match the knobs best.

Yes the cream would look good with the red, I have black bobbin pickups at the moment, chrome pup rings might look good too. The good thing about hardware is you can always play around with it later.

Got the Rustins finish today and got a few more coats on, I love this stuff, it sets as hard as a rock.

P8130781.jpg

The body is as red as it needs to be now so it's getting clear coats from now on. Just got to order the decal. water slide decals look great on light backgrounds like maple but they look crap on dark backgrounds like deep red. I must do a tally of what this guitar has cost.

So the body has had 10 coats, I sanded with 400 grit wet and dry on a new cork block, staying away from the very edges. After a while there was only a few little shiny spots that indicate tiny concavities. Rather than rub more surface off just to get those I spot filled them and they disappeared when I sanded with 800.

P8160782.jpg

On the downhill run now, I will polish the body on the weekend.

Doing the finish is one of my favourite parts of guitar building, it's great seeing the grain pop when the two pack goes on and great watching it grind down to a smooth surface.

So the body has had 10 coats, I sanded with 400 grit wet and dry on a new cork block, staying away from the very edges. After a while there was only a few little shiny spots that indicate tiny concavities. Rather than rub more surface off just to get those I spot filled them and they disappeared when I sanded with 800.

P8160782.jpg

Doing the finish is one of my favourite parts of guitar building, it's great seeing the grain pop when the two pack goes on and great watching it grind down to a smooth surface.

I agree with your finishing sentiments, watching a board turn into a work of art is like watching creation itself. I do wish I could get Rustin's here in the states.

SR

I agree with your finishing sentiments, watching a board turn into a work of art is like watching creation itself. I do wish I could get Rustin's here in the states.

SR

It is great fun isn't it, I polished the body tonight to 12, 000 and I will buff it out with buffing cream tomorrow. Strange that they don't distribute Rustin's to the states I would imagine there would be a good market for it there. One thing that is good about it is you can mix it up and leave the stuff you don't use in a jar in the fridge until you need to use it again. It lasts like that for weeks, convenience :)

Whenever I use rustins as a candy like this, I always put 3 coats of clear over the tinted stuff & buff that. Comes up realy sweet

That is the technique exactly Paulie, you only want to see white residue when you wet sand and polish. Was it Fender that used to do colour all the way to the surface with no clear? So I hope mine comes up sweet, find out tomorrow :huh:

Cheers Stewey, yep, the colour turned out just as imagined it. Hoping the QLD maple supplies the tone voodoo if everything goes well, I should find out today.

I am still undecided about the final logo, black or silver and I will be painting the headstock black but until I get that sorted out I have done a quick job on the headstock, so I can get the guitar together, finally, I am not a speedy guitar builder, just got to polish and buff it.

P8180803.jpg

you're gonna <3 love <3 that AANJ. You did a great job on it too. cheers and beers on that one.

Right back to you, it was your suggestion that put it there :) a theme of this guitar was to incorporate some of the suggestions that I didn't use last time

Wiring so far

P8190814.jpg

The crunchy pat is a decent pickup...sort of like an old school overwound...think Van Halen..

But for full blown metal I like those rails they make

http://www.guitarfet...lack-_c_89.html

Be careful when wiring those...they use super thin wire

You were absolutely right about the pickups, they sound great, yes that nice VH style warm distortion, I won't be replacing them, and the thing I really like, they are so buzz and hum free, unbelievably quite when the amp is on high gain ( and I am not hitting the strings :D )

Just finished this guitar, it's dusk so I will take photos in better light soon, here is a quick shot

P8190817.jpg

Stewey, you were also right, Queensland maple is smoooth and buttery.

Thanks everyone for keeping me company along the way :)

Edited by Muzz