Big Red

Muzz

The shape looks a lot like this '56 Ric: http://guitarz.blogspot.com/2012/04/1956-rickenbacker-combo-800-coolest.html

Personally, I don't care for one horn being sharp and the other rounded. It feels like contradictory themes; unbalanced visually. For all my opinion is worth. :D

Yes that is very close in shape

Ricky.jpg

The link you gave calls the Ricky Combo 800 the coolest guitar in the world, I wouldn't go that far but it does look cool.

I was thinking amalgam of a tele and a Washburn Idol when I drew my shape, now I am wondering if Washburn took elements of the Combo 800 design :D

Time to start shaping the body. Here are the bits I will be using.

P4210457.jpg

The little one is called a Dado clean out bit, and will be used to scratch the surface on the first pass then route down about 2 mm. This should stop any splinters shearing off the top of the body. Then use the middle size bit and just drop down 2 mm at a time and switch over to the longer bit when needed. I will be doing a section at a time with a block of wood on the other side of the router to stop it wobbling.

Can't wait to see the jagged edge come off this

P4210459.jpg

I caught the photo that Not You posted in misc, hot, hot, hot :D

Rough cut and template clamped down with anti-wobble bars

P4210460.jpg

Scraping off the top layer

P4210461.jpg

Digging deeper

P4210462.jpg

Was it demonx who said Queensland Maple smells great? he was right, I am getting addicted to it

P4210464.jpg

Kicking back watching The Voice

Here is the body routed down as far as I can go from the top

P4210465.jpg

Routed from the bottom

P4210466.jpg

P4210470.jpg

This routing style takes a few hours but it works for me

I like the router should when glides around the blank like a Ouija board on Oct 31

P4210468.jpg

Loving the shape! Personally I would have gone for a slightly less pointy treble horn, but I get what you're aiming for :D

Hey, glad you like it, yes the treble horn is pretty much a knife's edge at the moment,

P4220472.jpg

I am not decided whether it is going to stay that sharp, it will probably get blunted just a little somewhere along the way :D

Worried about router burn? It's time to change your manpon.

Practice neck coming along OK

P4230485.jpg

But it is telling me my blank is still too thick, too much of a drop on the headstock

P4230483.jpg

Trying to work out if I can make a template which can be used to cut out the whole neck and stop router wobble.

But it is telling me my blank is still too thick, too much of a drop on the headstock

About 3-4mm from the bottom of the fret board is enough. Do you have any drawings of fender necks ? I can send you some if you want. They illustrate it very well. PM me with a mail address & ill fire you some cad files or pdf.

About 3-4mm from the bottom of the fret board is enough. Do you have any drawings of fender necks ? I can send you some if you want. They illustrate it very well. PM me with a mail address & ill fire you some cad files or pdf.

Fantastic, will do :D

Why or how would too much drop be a problem on a non angled headstock?

Looking good Muzz, this is fun to watch.

SR

For the tuners closest to the nut, there may be a little too much tension to allow accurate / easy tuning. & if its a very high jump in level the low E & maby the A string just wont hold on the tuning post.

• Like 1

Trying to work out if I can make a template which can be used to cut out the whole neck and stop router wobble.

I have wondered the same thing recently and thought of a 4"-5" wide template with each edge being profiled, one for the left side and the other for the right side of the neck. That way there should be enough support for the base of the router.

Liking the shape on this.

The burn marks could be due to the router staying over that area to long.

SR

Cheers Scott, I am having fun with this.

SR

For the tuners closest to the nut, there may be a little too much tension to allow accurate / easy tuning. & if its a very high jump in level the low E & maby the A string just wont hold on the tuning post.

That's it, I would also be worried about a weak headstock.

Tomorrow is a public holiday, I am going to study the diagrams you sent me Paulie and start drawing up the dimensions of the neck, I am thinking 23 frets, just to be different, I think it will also suit this body.

I have wondered the same thing recently and thought of a 4"-5" wide template with each edge being profiled, one for the left side and the other for the right side of the neck. That way there should be enough support for the base of the router.

Liking the shape on this.

The burn marks could be due to the router staying over that area to long.

Yep that's along the lines I was thinking Jaycee , perhaps a truss rod channel route in the template to align it to the neck.

Now I get it, Stew Mac explains it here http://www.stewmac.com/freeinfo/Repair_tools,_specialized/i-3416.html

A scraper with a hooked edge is like a micro plane? The technique I used dragged the blade along the wood with the edge facing away from the direction of travel, so there was no slice or planing effect. On one of the photos you can see the light dust it produced.