Big Red

Muzz

Not much to do on the body now until the neck is finished. I did some more work on the neck. Drawing out the profile.

P5050502.jpg

Marking out where the truss rod is going, I drilled guide holes for the router at either side of the route. As a drill guide I used my invention, block of wood with hole drilled in it, Avengers says that he invented block of wood with hole drilled in it, but he totally ripped off my idea :D

P5050503.jpg

I put the router bit in the guide hole and then adjusted the router guide to sit against the straight edge of the neck blank.

P5050504.jpg

I clamped down bits of wood at either side to stop the router at the same points each pass.

P5050505.jpg

Routed the channel to 10 mm deep

P5050506.jpg

The end around the truss rod nut needs another 1 mm on ether side, I used tape to adjust the router guide +/- 1 mm and widened the channel at the headstock end. Again blocks of wood to stop the router.

P5050507.jpg

It came out not too bad, the widened section is a bit longer than it needs to be, no biggy.

P5050509.jpg

Squared off the channel with a craft knife and a small screwdriver, it's a snug fit so hopefully no rattling.

P5050510.jpg

Next step, cutting out the neck,

Edited by Muzz

As a drill guide I used my invention, block of wood with hole drilled in it, Avengers says that he invented block of wood with hole drilled in it, but he totally ripped off my idea :D

P5050503.jpg

[self-righteous grandstanding] Sir, you are not only inaccurate on the time frame but on the tool in question as well. Should you peruse the archives you would find conclusive proof the my tool predating by many months any such attempts from you to you to copy the theory behind it's creation. The tool itself has no holes, but a single groove in which is held the brass fret press insert.

Said tool is otherwise known as "block of wood with a channel cut in it", or BOWWACCII for short. [/self-righteous grandstanding]

wip084.jpg

Someday I'll be a very serious man. Today is not that day. :D

I like that shape. Its like a modern, aggressive take on a jaguar. Clean work so far, keep it up.

Cool, you should see the paper drawing, so many pencil lines rubbed out and redrawn.

Lining up my ruler against the sides of the truss rod to regauge the midline.

P5060512.jpg

Cutting off the excess

P5060513.jpg

Router set up

P5060515.jpg

Top off

P5060516.jpg

One side done, I am getting tired, time to stop routing

P5060517.jpg

Look at the moon tonight, amazing

P5060520.jpg

And on the way back from snapping the moon, look what 5 doors down has in their front yard, I wonder how many guitars he is going to make from that

P5060523.jpg

:D Avengers and my legal teams settled out of court, he gets to keep 'block of wood with a channel cut in it', or BOWWACCII, I get to keep 'block of wood with a hole drilled in it BOWWAHDII. I think he got the better deal, perhaps I am getting settlers regret like the Winkelvi :D

I put masking tape on the outline, it's easier to see than a pencil line to position the router guide up against

P5080524.jpg

shaped

P5080526.jpg

P5080527.jpg

P5080529.jpg

I heard the first block of wood with a hole in it was invented by a termite...and then the woodpecker copied the idea.

look what 5 doors down has in their front yard, I wonder how many guitars he is going to make from that

I think that boat would make quite a few,but I also think a name like Tuna Turner is not good for tone.

I think that boat would make quite a few,but I also think a name like Tuna Turner is not good for tone.

Screw it. Put some strings on it. That big hollow hull might make a good acoustic body. But I rekon Muzz will need to hit the weights pretty hard to use it on stage for more than a song or 2 :DBEEF CAKE !!

I love your approach to building and your clever uses of hand tools. Nice neighborhood too.

I assume the title is a clue to the final color?

SR

Cheers Scott, Yes, I am thinking it is going to be red like a toffee apple, but as usual, I am making it up as I go along. We are having a little reprise of summer here in the land of Oz in the last few days, I am loving it :D

I heard the first block of wood with a hole in it was invented by a termite...and then the woodpecker copied the idea.

look what 5 doors down has in their front yard, I wonder how many guitars he is going to make from that

Now if I could just train that termite to chew out the truss rod channel in necks I would be happy :D

I routed a 4 mm channel to get the edge of the route straight and set the depth for the head drop, nearly time to get some more double sided tape I have been using heaps

P5080530.jpg

then put the router on rails, to get rid of the rest

P5080531.jpg

then sanded it down,

P5080532.jpg

A bit more scraping on that headstock face and then I will drill in the trussrod connecting hole.

Screw it. Put some strings on it. That big hollow hull might make a good acoustic body. But I rekon Muzz will need to hit the weights pretty hard to use it on stage for more than a song or 2 :DBEEF CAKE !!

:D I am doing it, shouldn't be too hard to put some strings on Tina and a couple of pickups, my neighbour says it's OK as long as I have it back by 5.30 am on Sunday B)

Now if I could just train that termite to chew out the truss rod channel in necks I would be happy :)

Time for some genetic engineering.

After your post I typed "super termite" into Google and nearly fell off my chair laughing when I saw one of the pictures that came up from an American store that sells T shirts and posters. I've posted it in the Misc thread :)

Marking the centre line on the headstock

P5130534.jpg

Using BOWWAHDII to meet up with the truss rod channel from the outside.

P5130535.jpg

All OK, Allen key fits in fine. Why is it called an Allen key?

P5130537.jpg

I like the truss rod with some adhesive sticking the main tension bar to the sides of the neck, this way the tension is more evenly distributed along the neck rather than focused in one spot pushing against the fretboard.

I glued the fingerboard on, I put a 8 mm strip of tape along the trussrod to stop glue getting in, spread the glue on, then removed the tape, like it advises on the Stew Mac site. I used way more clamps than I needed :D

P5190543.jpg

My theory is that increasing pressure has a bell shaped curve of benefits, you need enough pressure to make the surfaces adhere, but too much and wood fibres are going to compress, and that's not good. I cringe when I see clamps directly on a fretboard itself. I worry that will put crater like compressions in the wood. I used a caul with high density rubber. I tensioned the clamps so the rubber compresses evenly along the caul. This way I get an idea of how much tension is on the fretboard. Enough to make the join ooze goo.

P5190542.jpg

This guitar is an experiment, if the fingerboard falls off I will know I was wrong :D

Your clamping caul would make a nice looking headstock and board.

SR

I stared at that picture and all of a sudden I saw what you mean, it was like one of those 3D pictures when you relax your gaze and all of a sudden you see it :D

I routed most of the fretboard excess off using the neck as a template, I couldn't go all the way to the end though because there is an overhang

P5200546.jpg

Last piece of routing was done using straight edge MDF as a template, look carefully you can just see the excess sticking out

P5200547.jpg

Edges getting sanded, two bits of scrap being used as stabilizers to stop rounded over edges

P5200548.jpg

P5200551.jpg

• Like 1

I stared at that picture and all of a sudden I saw what you mean, it was like one of those 3D pictures when you relax your gaze and all of a sudden you see it

DOH!

I should have stared at it longer. Today I see that what I thought was your caul was your neck and headstock viewed from the bottom. :D

It is still true....they aer a nice neck and HS.

SR

Clamped the neck in place, join 4 mm past the 16th fret

P5260556.jpg

P5260555.jpg

Drew the join line and the neck carve line

P5260557.jpg

Marked out the side profile of the neck, I used pauliemc's technique of serating with the curved edge of the rasp first

P5260558.jpg

Edited by Muzz

Just found this thread - terrific build Muzz.

Which timber yard was that early in the thread?

BTW, I've ordered a table-saw fret slotting blade from StewMac and will build a jig for it when it arrives. (After some less than stellar slotting with a hand saw). If you want to bring some boards out to the Bentleigh area to slot the fast and easy way when it's ready, drop me a PM.