Big Red

Muzz

I am enjoying Eurovision, final on tonight, who said Charlie Pickering could put on a funny accent and host?

Ha! Go Eurovision! A shining beacon to all things tacky and kitschy in the music business! I'd play some of the drinking games but I suspect I wouldn't make it through the night if I had to take a swig everytime they broke out the wind machine.

Just found this thread - terrific build Muzz.

Which timber yard was that early in the thread?

BTW, I've ordered a table-saw fret slotting blade from StewMac and will build a jig for it when it arrives. (After some less than stellar slotting with a hand saw). If you want to bring some boards out to the Bentleigh area to slot the fast and easy way when it's ready, drop me a PM.

Cheers Brian, I will drop you a PM

I am enjoying Eurovision, final on tonight, who said Charlie Pickering could put on a funny accent and host?

Ha! Go Eurovision! A shining beacon to all things tacky and kitschy in the music business! I'd play some of the drinking games but I suspect I wouldn't make it through the night if I had to take a swig everytime they broke out the wind machine.

The drinking games are funny, the wind machine was working hard :D

shaping the headstock base with a mini rasp

P5270566.jpg

Cutting out the drop with a bastard file

P5270567.jpg

P5270568.jpg

Shaved and ready to sand

P5270569.jpg

Edited by Muzz

is Seal a little bit creepy?

Two words...Heidi Klum

:D that must have been nice for him while it lasted, imagine if you were in his shoes now though, at least you would have some great stories to tell around the barbeque, like this one time when me and Heidi Klum were ...............

Drilling the side dot holes

P6020577.jpg

Later I will discover that I have left out number 21, don't tell me because at this point I am blissfully unaware

P6020578.jpg

Putting in the side dot rod, PVA pool in the bottom of a can

P6020581.jpg

P6020582.jpg

Next step radiusing the board

I had thought about making a router radiusing jig, glad I didn't, the radius block worked fine.

Marking out the positions for the MOP dots.

P6030592.jpg

I checked the positions of the frets. The 13th fret slot was 0.5 mm out, I filled the slot with glued in slivers of rosewood, sanded level and recut the slot using the radiusing block to position the cut.

P6040593-1.jpg

Next steps, drill the machine head holes and put the frets in.

P6040594.jpg

Had a listen to Dragonforce's "Cry Thunder" I like it :rock

What I don't like is machine head holes that look as though they have been put in with a bullet, I can't stand tear out even if it is going to be covered up with chrome, so I did the Drilling 101 technique.

Finally gave in and used the prehistoric measuring system, this time it is easier than spacing 25.5 mm apart.

P6060598.jpg

I drilled 1.5 mm diametre pilot holes and then switched to a 10 mm drill and drilled almost all the way through from the front, then flipped it over and drilled from the other side. A guide bar means I only have to line up in one dimension not two.

P6060599.jpg

Note the beanbag, if you put one of those under your work your neck or body will never ever drop, as soon as the ghosts that live in your house see a beanbag they don't push your guitar off the bench/hook.

P6060601.jpg

P6060602.jpg

You ruined this guitar neck by placing it on something related to Creed!!!Better just start from scratch

:blink: Yep it was close to being ruined, it has been recuperating under a pile of CDs and records from Electric Mary, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Thin Lizzy, Metallica, LA Guns, The Baby Animals, Kill Hannah, Backyard Babies, KISS,Scorpions, Lynch Mob, Airbourne, The Screaming Jets, Joe Bonamassa and Mick Ronson. It is recovering nicely, now it had been contaminated with Nickelback it would have been straight into the bin :D

I just listened to that Dragonforce too. Not bad. You get all the good stuff about metal (the guitars) without the bad parts (IMO the normal vocals with screaming and growls and stuff).

Chris

Yep, each member of the band is showing their chops on that track, the new singer fits in well.

Nickelback exposure is deadly... I've heard tale that it even causes cracking and premature rotting off the fretboard. However, if you send an exposed guitar to a boy band I've heard they work just as expected.

You ruined this guitar neck by placing it on something related to Creed!!!Better just start from scratch

:blink: Yep it was close to being ruined, it has been recuperating under a pile of CDs and records from Electric Mary, Taking Back Sunday, The Used, Thin Lizzy, Metallica, LA Guns, The Baby Animals, Kill Hannah, Backyard Babies, KISS,Scorpions, Lynch Mob, Airbourne, The Screaming Jets, Joe Bonamassa and Mick Ronson. It is recovering nicely, now it had been contaminated with Nickelback it would have been straight into the bin :D

Setting up for fretting

P6070608.jpg

Tapped them in with my Supercheap Auto $7 fret hammer, they finished up very close to level, they only needed the lightest dressing with some 800 wet and dry on a mdf straight edge.

P6080612.jpg

P6080613.jpg

polishing crowns with 1000

P6080616.jpg

Nickelback just panders to the lowest common denominator,that's all.It's to guitar driven rock what Britney Spears is to pop.

Bubble gum rock trying to disguise itself as hard rock.The sad reality is that most music is bought by 12-16 year olds,and some bands pander to that demographic because of it.

Got the black paint for the headstock front yesterday, polished the rest of the neck to 2000, tomorrow micromesh to 8000 this morning.

Spent the rest of the day, recording demos, lots of guitars to choose from that belong to my new friend Michael.

The guitar on the left is just the colour I want for this guitar

LoveHz5.jpg

I loved the mosaic front single cut with the Bigsby

LoveHz2.jpg

LoveHz1.jpg

LoveHz4.jpg