Big Red

Muzz

Looks big enough to slice and dice into a neckthru blank

I like working with QLD maple. Great timber.

You know I would love to make a neckthru sometime :D Isn't Queensland maple a lovely timber, its got a great honeyish colour unstained, I am wondering how it takes a stain, and in this case how it takes a red stain. :D

This piece is a good size for a bolt on, I am working out if I can do a tilt back head with a volute without doing a scarf joint. I remember someone saying that they used to think scarf joints were second rate, I know scarf necks can be structurally more sound than a non scarf, but to my eyes they just don't look good, I understand why someone might get the impression that they are second rate.

I am getting the timber glued together soon for the practice model neck, try some stuff out before hacking into the QM.

I started out doing NON scarf necks, then I evolved to the scarf method. It saves so much wsate and opens up doors for creativity.

When you mention non scarf and I look at that chunk of timber, all I see how much is going to get thrown out/burned/wasted at the end, when if you sliced and diced (as in make 3 piece necks) and scarf jointed you could cut several bolt on necks out of it or one good neckthru blank.

I've only made maybe half a dozen necks from QLD maple and the body of the Rhoads I built around xmas time was QLD maple. I wish the stuff was a bit easier to get in my town without having to order/get posted here which then makes it cost as much as imported timber.

I started out doing NON scarf necks, then I evolved to the scarf method. It saves so much wsate and opens up doors for creativity.

When you mention non scarf and I look at that chunk of timber, all I see how much is going to get thrown out/burned/wasted at the end, when if you sliced and diced (as in make 3 piece necks) and scarf jointed you could cut several bolt on necks out of it or one good neckthru blank.

I've only made maybe half a dozen necks from QLD maple and the body of the Rhoads I built around xmas time was QLD maple. I wish the stuff was a bit easier to get in my town without having to order/get posted here which then makes it cost as much as imported timber.

Yep that V totally rocks, I bet the customer loves shredding on it :D

Getting the timber is the issue isn't it, you can get much cheaper prices at normal timber shops, but you have to be careful and check the stuff out to make sure it is suitable for guitars. Some beautiful stuff at http://www.tasmaniantimbers.com/ but you pay for it :D

Yep that V totally rocks, I bet the customer loves shredding on it :D

Getting the timber is the issue isn't it, you can get much cheaper prices at normal timber shops, but you have to be careful and check the stuff out to make sure it is suitable for guitars. Some beautiful stuff at http://www.tasmaniantimbers.com/ but you pay for it :D

The Camo Rhoads I built for myself, its the one with the QLD Maple, if you meant the black V, it's all Mahogany and is customers guitar. Not paid off yet so it's still hanging behind me.

Tasmanian Tonewoods has some great looking stuff on their site from time to time, I've never bought from them before though. Most of my guitars get painted so theres no point in me spending bid bucks on their timber! One day though. One day.

The reason you have been pulled over, sir, is for an extreme lack of clampage.

wrong type as much as a lack.

that many clamps + a couple of cauls to distribute pressure would be fine if you were using G-clamps, would need a few more with F-clamps

but trigger clamps only really hold stuff in place, they dont let you put any real pressure on the work

Angels and Airwaves were great last night, Tom DeLonge was in fine voice

426096_3366283398501_1311658967_3472731_222545789_n1.jpg

418221_3366283078493_1311658967_3472730_1192628828_n1.jpg

Medina Lake who supported them were good too.

And Stewey we better not talk about glue, last time I did that I sparked a thread where dudes arranged their glue collections into still life arrangements and posted them, too funny.

Glue is cool. :D

It certainly is, it still amazes me that wood can be bonded together so strongly allowing you to make such cool things out of it. Carpentry has such a calming effect on me, love the simple pleasures in life.

A couple of months back I got home and this gift was sitting on the table waiting for me. A lovely Jem copy, I dig the neck on it, it certainly will be influencing this build.

IMG_0120.jpg

The three sticks glued together are for practicing and modeling the real neck, and will not actually be used, the practice neck is the lightning conductor for FUBARS :D

So the design of this guitar is just starting at this point there are a few defining parameters, and will allow me to take some of the forks in the road I chose not to take on my last guitar. Obviously the colour is decided. And like cooking on Wednesday night, I will be using up what's left in the cupboard. This is my parts box.

IMG_0241.jpg

And in it I found a trad whammy,

IMG_0242.jpg

I haven't used one of these before

IMG_0243.jpg

I like the way your threads start out with the contemplation of a single piece of timber. You said the pointy stick was going to be a lazy build......how much time are you allowing for this one?

SR

That's great, yep absolutely no rush on this one, I love the planning stage, and making the decisions that shape the guitar. I like to take forks in the road as I go along and watch the guitar evolve. It's good to consider the advice that I get along the way. I don't want to make a clone, it's fun to experiment.

Next decision is what type of nut to use, and then put pencil to paper and the neck dimensions and an important part of the build - the head stock shape :D

And in it I found a trad whammy,

IMG_0242.jpg

I haven't used one of these before

Muzz - is Trad a brand name ? I've never heard of a Trad whammy. :D

That particular type of tremolo is a "end of the last song of the night" kind of deal for me. The tuning stability is pretty bad so expect to re-tune the geet after using it.

Or , wipe it down and put it in its case. :D

Also -knobs that go to 11 only really work if your pots go to 11 too.

Have fun with it. I'll B watching.

Muzz - is Trad a brand name ? I've never heard of a Trad whammy. :D

That particular type of tremolo is a "end of the last song of the night" kind of deal for me. The tuning stability is pretty bad so expect to re-tune the geet after using it.

Or , wipe it down and put it in its case. :D

Also -knobs that go to 11 only really work if your pots go to 11 too.

Have fun with it. I'll B watching.

Hey OSi great to hear from you, yep I have two locking trem guitars that I just cannot put out of tune no matter how hard I try. The traditional trems can not take the same level of abuse that is for sure.

Now to search the internet for those special pots that go up to 11 B)