Guitar Of The Month For May

The Project Guitar.com "Guitar of the Month" contest is a showcase for all the members, so show us your axe in this thread!

This contest is open to any and all members that enter and will be continued each month for a place showing your creation on the

homepage!

The winner(s) of course will have his/her guitar featured on the homepage of Project Guitar.com and if you have a website the picture

will link directly to it if you so choose (even commercial site's).

If your a forum member you will also be upgraded with a special badge to show you won!

So show us your creation in this thread! You've got till sometime around the 22nd or 23rd of April then this thread gets locked and the

voting starts!

Any Post that is not an entry will be deleted, feel free to start a new thread to discuss any guitar entered this month

There may be more then one poll to determine winners in different catagorys at the end of this contest!

Please post a maximum of your 4 best pictures per guitar entered

Make sure Your Guitar has a Name or Nick Name as well otherwise one will be given to it :D

Side note, if you are unable to post a picture you can e-mail one to Brian and it

will be posted for you, or ask forum members how to post pictures, they are very helpful.

Searls Guitars - SS7 Vic Blackwood & Huon

Specs:

Carved Superstrat body - 7 string.

Victorian Blackwood Body

Quilted maple cap over a Queensland Maple Center

Ebony stringers

Huon 3 piece neck with Birdseye Huon headstock

Indian Rosewood fingerboard with no inlay

25" scale with 25 frets

Switchcraft output jack & 500k pots

Jenson BKP Paper oil 0.022uf cap

Bareknuckle Holydiver bridge pickup

Bareknuckle Mothersmilk neck pickup

Kahler trem with floyd Rose locknut.

Schaller tuners

PPG 2k clear finish.

Build Thread:

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=46201

IMG_2139small.jpg

IMG_2124small.jpg

IMG_2133small.jpg

IMG_2131small.jpg

Timpson 8 String ERG

Specs:

Ash body

5 piece neck - maple/wenge, single truss rod, dual carbon graphite reinforcements, tung oil finish

pao ferro fingerboard, 24 stainless steel frets

28.5" scale

hipshot bridge and locking tuners

bone nut

white nitrocellulose lacquer with black grain enhancement

bone nut

TDM Pickups (my brand) custom made humbuckers with EMG style covers

single volume, single tone, 3 way switch

554495_10150751474770731_512810730_11883358_1439232450_n.jpg

563614_10150761115440731_512810730_11912765_1288641489_n.jpg

542174_10150761115655731_512810730_11912770_11523516_n.jpg

551497_10150761115730731_512810730_11912771_1786849161_n.jpg

Edited by trubl

• 2 weeks later...

RockBeach CB-III for the more traditionalist player. It plays and balances great. Even the slight relief cuts allowed by the thinness of the caps do make a difference in terms of comfort. They're not visibly obvious. Woods are walnut caps on a tulip poplar solid body. Neck is birdseye maple. It retains all of the ergonomic advantages of the RockBeach lineup but uses the pickguard construction and pickup/controls layout folks are so familiar and comfortable with.

CB-III_Walnut_Done_1s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_3s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_5s.jpg

CB-III_Walnut_Done_6s.jpg

Rinker 712

Body - Mahogany

Top(s) - Spruce, Rosewood

Neck - Mahogany, Rosewood, Ash

Pickguard - East Indian Rosewood

Fingerboard - East Indian Rosewood

Construction - Deep Set Neck Tenon

Inlay - Pearl

Frets - Jumbo

Scale - 25"

Bridge - TonePros Wraparound

Pick-up - Seymour Duncan Phat Cat P-90

Finish - Tru-Oil

Build%207e.JPG

Build%207a.JPG

Build%207i.JPG

Build%207g.JPG

JS Donnie Maple

Basswood JS shape body, 'Donnie Hunt big face' paintjob 2K finish

Truoil flame neck, unfinished board

Recycled Ibanez cosmo hardware

Dimarzio pickups

Painted this body about a year ago & finished it with Rustins, it didn't like it & crazed in a month, so stripped it completely, repainted and cleared in 2K. Made a flamed neck to go with it, left the board raw as I love filthy maple - must be a VH thing.

23032012016.jpg

23032012021.jpg

23032012018.jpg

23032012022.jpg

MuX Guitars Baracuda- "Anasazi-7"

This is my first 7-string guitar as well as the first set of pickups that I've wound myself that have gone into a guitar. Not sure what to do with the thing as I have no idea what to do with a 7-string personally, but it was a fun adventure! It's called the Anasazi-7 because of the inlay theme as well as the very "desert" feeling woods I used.

Specs

Shape: Baracuda

Neck: Setneck wenge/bubinga/limba/bubinga/wenge (came from the off-cut of tapering the backside of the neck on that neck-thru bass I built awhile back)

Headplate/backstrap: Goncalo alves on the back and in the 'route-down', wenge for the headplate with gold MOP logo

Fretboard: 16" radius, 25.5" scale EIRW with goncalo alves binding and white MOP, gold MOP, turqouise and lapiz recon stone inlays of Anasazi cave paintings

Body: Bees wing makore core with lightly figured goncalo alves top and back with maple pinstriping

Finish: Satin tru-oil

Electronics: Home-wound A5 humbuckers each with a series/parallel/coil tap 3-way. Master volume, tone, and 3-way selector. All covered with a magnetically attached wenge cavity plate

Hardware: Hipshot open-back locking tuners, Kahler hybrid trem system, floyd locking nut, WDMusic strap locks

Pics- Pardon them, I usually have a friend do it with a real camera... had to do 'um solo with the iPhone this time hahaha

front.jpg

back.jpg

inlay.jpg

One of the things I'm particularly happy about with this build is some of the creative ways I was able to incorporate materials that weren't quite big enough.

The neck blank was only 7/8" thick and I usually hate heel-caps... so I went crazy with it and had the laminates fan out like this:

heel.jpg

I also loved the figure on this makore and thought it'd look great in the belly carve but it just wasn't wide enough. So I created a "faux end wedge" look and maple pinstriping... this glue-up was a pain but that center piece widened the makore out enough to use:

endwedge.jpg

belly.jpg

Thoughts

This is the first finished guitar in my Baracuda shape (it'll be nice to finally put up something besides just CAD drawings of it on the site) and I'm really happy with how it sits and feels. The pickups also turned out great for a first go-around, although squeally at first... but a good second wax-potting fixed that up fine. I did however learn a Korn song so I could give it a real try and man does this thing grind and make the house rumble! I've never heard my Marshall JCM900 stack sound more evil :D

I'm not sure how I feel about the Kahler bridge... but then again I'm not a trem fan in general, nor am I a floating trem fan at all. But I figured I'd give it a try... but for me it'll stay in the locked/fixed mode (one of the big reasons I chose this for myself over a true floyd). So for that I give it a big plus!

There are a couple things that I'll probably change once I've had some time to just enjoy it being finished; but I figured I'd show it to you guys like this as it is done after all. I'll probably search for new knobs, I'm not a huge fan of how those look on this guitar. Also, I'm very tempted to make new pickup mounting ears out of wenge to set them off a bit more. The goncalo-on-goncalo is a bit too incognito for me. However, I did set out to try this mounting style so that the mountings would play less of an aesthetic role, so I guess in that sense it was a huge success! :D

Chris