Voting for August 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
VOTE HERE

Sign in to follow this  
verhoevenc

Dyeing Figured Maple

So a fellow builder in the area stopped by the shop today to learn about the dyeing process before he got to it on a guitar he's building. I figured I might as well video it since I'd be teaching it anyways. John had some good questions that I'm leaving in. I kind of like finally having a video with someone else's voice besides just mine, as well as some Q&A here and there. Sure beats the ferret-cameo my brother caused in one of the previous videos hahahaha.

Chris

• Like 1

The only thing I'd like to have seen as well is a side-by-side comparison of with and without the black underneath. That would show the difference it makes to the uninitiated.

Great video Chris. It's interesting to see the different ways that luthiers do things. I primarily use the LMI powder dyes... but I mix them in denatured alcohol instead of water. They flash off quickly, and you don't have to wait as long for your workpiece to dry. The drawback is blending can be a pain.

I'm also interested in seeing how the dyed birdseye turns out for you. I've never been satisfied with the result when I've attempted it.