Drill / Router Bits

Dylanwad

I've decided to give these blades a go due to the fact that I kept seeing Tuff Saws blades come up a lot in bandsaw discusions on forums. I'm getting 6tpi.

Straight cut

http://tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=113:c53dc030774533c2e7be8cf59f8cef23

Radius cut

http://tuffsaws.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_4_14_30&products_id=103

I'm not sure what Router bits I should get?

Roundover bit

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axcaliber-ovolo-router-cutters-prod807115/

I was thinking about the 3.2mm one, would that give me think kind of roundover?

036.jpg

002.jpg

Can you point me to what I need for the truss rod channel, template bearing bit (for the outline) and probably a shorter version for the pickup cavaties.

Also, should I just buy a set of drill bits or go for whatever I'm most likely to use? What am I most likely to use? :D

I'll probably buy all the bits for the router and drill of Axminster if they have everything I need.

Thanks.

The questions you ask are very vague hense the answers are going to be

For example, you asked that router bit for the truss rod. Well, how are you routing it? Template or router table? What size is the truss rod?

Drill bits you should just buy a set. You'll need all different sizes. Different hardware will require different gauges and if you just buy a handful of singles you could prob buy a large set for the same price

As Demonx suggested, get yourself a full drill set. Better yet, get a full metric (1mm - 13mm) and full imperial sets (1/64 - 1/2). Far cheaper in the long run than buying singles. If you're going to get any single drill bits, save your cash for brad point drills as you need them.

The router bits I find myself using the most frequently are inverted 1/2" diameter flush trim bits with 19mm and 28mm lengths (good for pickup cavities, neck pockets, trem cavities, control cavities, smaller template work etc), regular and inverted 3/4" diamter flush trimming bits with 38mm length (good for body outlines and larger template work), and a 38mm long 1/4" straight bit (perfect for Allparts trussrods, control wire channels, pickup cavities when used with a pattern ring on the router etc).

Also nice to have is a small set of forstner bits, good for removing excess timber prior to routing, or counter-boring neck screw ferrules and output jacks and the like.

Straight away there's about $300 worth of bits before you get started though.

If you're going to get any single drill bits, save your cash for brad point drills as you need them.

Good point.

A 10mm Brad point for the tuner holes

A 30" long 1/4" drill bit for doing electronics holes

Also nice to have is a small set of forstner bits,

Yeah - I forgot those also. My Forstner bits have been used so much they are very blunt, I enquired about getting them sharpened but that was WAY too expensive. I've just bought a Saw tooth bit set, look like forstner bits but have saw teeth. These seem to cut clean - possibly as clean as the forstner bits and they will probably last a lot longer.