Hacksaw Vs Scroll Saw

bob123

I tried this nine years ago and found it a huge waste of time.

Same here...bout 4 years ago.I use my scroll saw for small stuff and the bandsaw for body banks.My bandsaw is one of those $100 9" models,but even that cuts bodies better than a scroll saw.You do have to get a bit inventive though with a small bandsaw,and I use my spindle sander to get the inside cutaways.

Not to be picky, but you asked if it would work,not what was best.A really good bandsaw would be best,and I wish I had one,too.hahaha I read your question ,as ,the saw would be for her and if you would be able to use it to.Anyway ,hope you get both...just do your homework before buying.I have bought stuff that did not do what I expected, because I did not do my homework.

Not to be picky, but you asked if it would work,not what was best.A really good bandsaw would be best,and I wish I had one,too.hahaha I read your question ,as ,the saw would be for her and if you would be able to use it to.Anyway ,hope you get both...just do your homework before buying.I have bought stuff that did not do what I expected, because I did not do my homework.

Yeah thats what I'd be worried about. I basically dont want to spend a whole bunch of money on something I wont ever use lol.

Scott- > I was pretty tired when I posted hahaha, I have no idea why I posted "hack saw", but Im glad people "hear what I meant" and "not what I said" haha :D

My wife wanted to do something in the garage with me, so I sent her to a scrollsaw class at Woodcraft. She loved it. She also ended up wanting the same scrollsaw they had. Now she owns the most expensive piece of equipment in my garage, a Dewalt DW788. It's a really nice mid-priced scrollsaw. You can find them on Craigslist as cheap as $150 if you are patient. I wasn't and I paid retail, but she's happy and I can get back to buying tools for myself.

Double bevel marquetry is actually easy when you use a scrollsaw.

It's usually called "scroll saw inlay". It's a really common technique for the tool. That's how I made this inlay recently. I "inlaid" all of the pieces into each other, then used traditional inlay technique to put it into the fretboard.

wip57.jpg

A couple other examples of scrolled inlay work:

DSCI1052.jpg

triquetrabox.jpg