Another Black Beauty...

hi there!

first of all, sorry for my english... I'm from spain, new here in this forum...

This will be my next project, just waiting to have some bucks to buy the wood... this is my fourth project, and hope to finish with a cool guitar.

The specs are:

- 3 piece maple-mahogany-maple neck, bolt-on, with 11º headstock

- 2 piece sapelle body

- Ebony fretboard, scale 25,5"

- 21 frets, 16" radius

- TOM bridge, string-thru body

- 3 hotrails PU

Not sure what I'm looking for with this concept really... anyway, I will start to build it as soon as possible...

0mockup1.jpg

cheers!

I disagree with Bob. I think it looks awesome. He's saying he doesn't like how it looks with three pickups. Incidentally, I really dig how that pickguard goes around the jack. Can't wait to see how it comes together.

??? No, just wondering why the bridge pickup ring is facing the other way is all lol, charlie H got it anyway.

For the string ferrules, I mean to have them kinda match the shape of the body, for example, an extreme example of this would this flying V

5G15Hc5M43Fc3J93N9c450a147e8cc7311f30.jpg

Its his guitar, and his design, and it looks great as is. Just my subjective opinions is all :D

??? No, just wondering why the bridge pickup ring is facing the other way is all lol, charlie H got it anyway.

ah ok... :D had all night thinking "what the heck means pup"??

well... the reason is simple: if I turn the pickup ring 180º, then the cavity will be very close to the bridge... is the middle pickup which is unbalanced really.

I would paint it something other than black. Think about a few other colors.

errrm... so is there any other colors for a guitar? ... jk, I love black guitars. Maybe in white... :D

thanks for comments, guys... I love to discuss the design stage and hear your oppinions.

I hope to start to build it soon.

B)

Guitar is called a BLACK beauty

Kinda limits his colour choices as far as im concerned :D

also, I can't change the title of the post... :) so it will be as black as the balls of a cricket... :D

thanks for the kind words guys, glad you like the design

B)

I actually like everything about this design... I really like the inlay on the FB and the little alien on the headstock. As stated before, the pickguard and jack looks great and complements the shape of the guitar. I'd like to see satin hardware/pickguard and flat black bridge and flat black paint. That way, you'll retain the actual look of the picture. Anything in gloss would take away from the sleek "alien" appearance.

Oh, and I like the color splash on the fretboard with the colored stars. I think it gives it a bit of contrast and draws the eye.

thanks for comment guys! glad you like it...

the stars in the FB will be made by skewer sticks and toothpicks (sorry, google translation)... basically with (pine?) sticks (ø3mm and ø1,5mm) that finally will turn darker, due to the 'ebony effect' when sanding... XD not sure about the final results really... anyway, this project will be made with a very low budget, trying to save some pieces I have in the workshop so there's no choice about hardware I fear... sorry.

Here's some previous attempts on design... they are based on the 1st and 3rd guitar I built. Finally I went for a new body shape:

vintage2.jpg

Still not sure about the exact location of the middle and bridge pickups... can anyone help me on this?

so it will be as black as the balls of a cricket...

Where I come from, cricket balls are red. :D

Does anyone know if small changes (~5 mm) in the positions of the pickups make much difference to the sound?

Sound of the pickup depend somewhat on where the pickup is relative to the vibrating length of the string....so will be different depending on which fret you're playing. I'd say that 5mm would make a theoretical difference, but not significant when everything else is taken into consideration.

Beautiful designs psiko, I thought the first one had the most "wow" factor.

Where I come from, cricket balls are red.

I meant the balls of THIS cricket... :D

grillo.jpg

had working with plans, preparing all things to buy the wood... here in spain, wood for guitars is very expensive, so don't expect a top quality model from here... :D

planos1.jpg

hope to start next week... stay tuned B)

Where I come from, cricket balls are red.

I meant the balls of THIS cricket... :D

grillo.jpg

black

hope to start next week... stay tuned :)

It is going to be as black as the balls on that cricket? B) well it's not going to be very black then, because that cricket is a female :D

That big spike coming out of her rear end is an ovipositor

I must say that both this and your earlier designs are really interesting. New and fresh but still balanced and not to avant garde to put the average guitar player off. Don't really know why, but the single cut somehow reminds me of some Italian and early Japanese designs, in a very good way.

Regarding guitar building woods I think you have one of the best guitar wood suppliers in western Europe in Spain: www.maderasbarber.com

If you compare as an example an African mahogany body blank from Stumac that one costs 114$ plus import taxes. From Maderas Barber it is 77$ and no import taxes applies! A Stumac curly maple neck blank is 47$ and one from Spain is 15$. On top of that I have got great service from them. They by mistake overcharged my credit card on the first order (they noticed that them self) as I have a business and shouldn't pay Spanish taxes. So instead of having them transfer the money back to me I asked them to surprise me with some goodies to make up for the difference and I can say that they were not being cheap on me. They threw in three of the best and most uniform ebony fretboards I have seen in a while (and oversized too...), some beautiful headplates, a wenge fretboard and some more. Only real negative thing I can think of is that they have a 200€ minimum order. Other from that I can say that I am 100% satisfied with my business with Maderas Barber. OK, back to the original topic...

Regarding guitar building woods I think you have one of the best guitar wood suppliers in western Europe in Spain: www.maderasbarber.com

Maderas Barber is very expensive IMO, and never bought anything from stumac due to international taxes...

I have another supplier here in Spain much cheaper than MB and SM: www.madinter.com, is worth to give a try... 20€ minimum order and very good service.

I thought wood was cheaper there in USA... :D

thanks for comment! :D