Guitar Of The Month For May

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Stiff competition this month, I really struggled to pick one.

Demonx - got my vote this time. The combination of woods really sit nicely with each other. I like how there's nothing too flashy, and yet there's a lot of visual interest in the marriage of the deifferent species of timbers. Nice work.

Trubl - The black grain filler in solid white finish made this instrument one of my favourites this month, just not completely sold on the extra long 8-on-a-side headstock in conjuction with the long scale length. Coupled with the thru-body string installation I would imagine finding a set of strings long enough for this guitar is a challenge!

Boggs - Like the simplicity of the build, like the profile of the upper-half of the body and the cutaway on the bridge-end of the body, but the treble side cutaway and the profile of the Strat pickguard clash for me, and the heel/neck pocket looks like it might make playing above the 17th fret uncomfortable.

Madhattr88 - Another understated build that looks really smart. Les Paul-style single cuts aren't really my thing, but I like the extra twist in this one with the exposed layers around the cutaway and armrest.

Andyt - A beautiful recreation of one of Satch's most identifiable guitars. The "perfectness" of the body finish seems a bit at odds with the worn-in look on the hardware and neck, but it's nicely executed nonetheless. Another of my favourites this month.

Verhovenc - 2nd choice for me. The woods used and the way they are combined in subtle ways is the shiz, and I love the funky inlay. The body shape is not my cup of tea though. But I gotta say that it's a cool looking instrument.

Excellent work everyone :D

demonx: You got my vote this month. It's the first 7+ string ax I've ever voted for. I agree with curtisa - there is plenty of visual interest with the different woods without being ostentatious. You nailed the right combination of conservative and flashy.

trubl: I don't have anything to criticize or compliment on. It just doesn't do anything for me.

Boggs: 'Nuff said. :D

madhattr88: I like what you've been going with these a lot. For me, the only thing I don't care for is the reveal on the forearm contour. Other than that, it's spot-on.

andyt: A well executed homage to the original. That paint job must have been a real PIA. re: curtisa - I think that the worn-in, dirty maple fretboard lends credibility to the used hardware. Maybe the finish is still a bit too shiny & new, but with a little use, it'll a blend in together.

verhoevnc: I like the shape, minimal inlays, and all of the extra pinstripe details. Those take it to another level. The only thing that kept it from getting my vote is the sandwiched body. IDK why, but visually I just don't care for it that much. That's what I don't like about Boggs' bodies too - the middle sandwich.

Not so hard to chose this time - absolutely Demonx. I like eveything in body shape & carve.

Also Verhoevenc's master woodworking and cool inlay stood out.

Just so you know, I am not the one who voted for me... :D

Actually, I did vote for Madhattr88 this month. It was really close all around though. Some excellent work this month.

FWIW, the CB-III was played at a concert by a strong player in the WNY region and one of the things he commented about was how easily he could access the upper frets. Looks are deceiving... The thicker pinch zone does feed more lateral energy into the body and as a result, it is tone-rich much like a set neck. A legendary regional player of almost 35 years rushed the stage where it was played to see what it was because it sounded so killer to him... He found me afterwards to tell me and with it in his hands, he loved the ergonomics and the ability to set it down and lean it against a wall without falling over. Those are the votes I need most...

Regarding the treble side of the pickguard, yeah... I do show more wood than Fender.

Trubl - The black grain filler in solid white finish made this instrument one of my favourites this month, just not completely sold on the extra long 8-on-a-side headstock in conjuction with the long scale length. Coupled with the thru-body string installation I would imagine finding a set of strings long enough for this guitar is a challenge!

this was a commissioned build. the headstock was designed exactly to specification of this instrument's respective owner. I wanted a 4x4 or a 5x3 headstock but he insisted on inline 8 reverse.

strings are available through labella... their crazy 8 strings are an off-shelf fit. I'm also in talks with a few sting companies to get custom sets made up as well. :D

this was a commissioned build. the headstock was designed exactly to specification of this instrument's respective owner. I wanted a 4x4 or a 5x3 headstock but he insisted on inline 8 reverse.

strings are available through labella... their crazy 8 strings are an off-shelf fit. I'm also in talks with a few sting companies to get custom sets made up as well. :D

I would think DR Strings would do it as they hand wind theirs and I have found them to be an extremely responsive company managed more like a "mom-and-pop" kind of thing... I hear they treat their employees like family too. I do support that...

You're right, I just looked through a few of the last polls and there's generally around 70-80 votes cast, whereas this month is about 20-30 short of that.

Maybe they just don't like our guitars!

@Boggs: the shape is fairly specific and it's not to everybody's taste. I wouldn't take it personally.

Even my builds are out of the general populations tastes most of the time and dont get many votes, being that I usually built heavy metal guitars. But that's what I like.

Thing is we have to build what we like or else we won't enjoy what we do. If we tried to please everyone it's a sure method to failure.

@Boggs: the shape is fairly specific and it's not to everybody's taste. I wouldn't take it personally.

Even my builds are out of the general populations tastes most of the time and dont get many votes, being that I usually built heavy metal guitars. But that's what I like.

Thing is we have to build what we like or else we won't enjoy what we do. If we tried to please everyone it's a sure method to failure.

well said my friend :D