Lpish Build

:D was hoping you wouldnt chamber the hell out of it. Prefer my LP's heavy as a chieftan tank.

But no matter. your gitirs are always rockin, so i rekon it will look the nuts when done.

Never even played a chambered guitar, so figured as the body is the same wood as the PRS I'd give it a try & see what different it makes if any.

F hole? Not sure if I even like f holes.

IMG_20120509_105713.jpg

cutout

IMG_20120509_135954.jpg

and glue

IMG_20120509_143851.jpg

out of the clamps and trimmed down yesterday

IMG_20120510_124639.jpg

How thick is a LP back? Need to thin it down.

Did a little colour test

IMG_20120510_134327.jpg

and today after spraying the PRS, started on the fretboard, 2nd inlay job + bonus sock and croc action

IMG_20120511_144336.jpg

levelled the inlays down

IMG_20120511_170814.jpg

this one was the worst, should be good with a little fill after radiusing. Also too a nick out the boardwith a chisel but glued back down ok

IMG_20120511_170806.jpg

Question on the binding, been looking at various pics but not sure yet. In the horn, does the binding go up to the top of carve leaving a little bit of maple top showing underneath that then gets stained with the back?

Don't like the look of binding that varies in height I've seen on some.

Your book is only bigger because of the large easy-to-read print. The instructions that came with my x-ray voodoo specs merely says, "also sees through complete BS and other tenuous fabrications". I seriously doubt that the top will have enough flex to act as any kind of soundboard. Maybe a very specific resonance at high volumes same as blowing over a bottle, but I doubt it will make any real difference.

Is that fretboard Cocobolo? I love the grain, it's probably my favourite wood when it's close to straight grained. I also say go with the F-hole, your design looks good.

Question on the binding, been looking at various pics but not sure yet. In the horn, does the binding go up to the top of carve leaving a little bit of maple top showing underneath that then gets stained with the back?

Don't like the look of binding that varies in height I've seen on some.

Iv seen it follow the top carve & show some maple underneath. But iv also seen it change thickness. My own preferance is to change thickness & match the carve. Id say ignore all the Gibson purist mumbo jumbo about what is bext & do whatever the fook you feel like at the time :D

yeah, gibson have done it both ways. following the top carve and showing the little bit of maple is traditional and less wasteful, it is considered the 'correct' way by the purists

obviously it makes absolutely no difference in any real sense

this looks good to me

91_cutawaydetail.jpg

as does this

08.jpg

but this always looks like an afterthought

bindingx.jpg

cheers for the pics

Neck from the leftover blank used for the PRS

Cutting the tennon

IMG_20120516_112426.jpg

and routing the top to the same angle

IMG_20120516_122139.jpg

test fit, wasn't quite fitting, then I realised I forgot to cut the end of the tennon to 4 deg, doh

IMG_20120516_131151.jpg

routed the pickups and started carving the top

IMG_20120516_175614.jpg

Are you sure you want a headcap? I would have though that either black or mirroring the body would be more balanced.

I would. I love headstock caps. In fact in some future builds I plan to use a lot more of them.