Which spokeshave will do the job?

Frenchy

Hey guys

I need an advice about a spokeshave, i found a site in germany but there is too much choice and i don't know which one i should take to shape my necks.

Here is the webpage Spokeshaves

If someone could have a look at the page and tell me which one would be the best (may be two differents or more if necessary).

Thanks in advance :D

Frenchy

I use the old wooden handel traditional style, works fine for me as long as i use it correctly ( going in a certain direction with the grain)

but would the rounded veritas one be a bit more useful for the neck??

I had to borrow my old mans spoke shave, but it was useless (or more likely, I was useless with it).

I've just finished shaping my neck (well still a bit of sanding to do but nearly there) and I found that using a rasp worked really well. You can get it quite close to the shape that you want and then just sand it down. Carfull not to apply too much pressure to the rasp as it'll take out gouges, which are a pain to sand out.

Anyway, not sure if this is the best method (as it's only my first neck) but I'm more than happy with the results. :D

Have you ever tried those razor type rasps? Mioroplane is what they call them - Microplane

I have the two handed version and use it for shaping the body contour. They don't chuck out the wood. They are smooth compared to a rasp but do remove a bunch of wood with ease. I haven't used them for a neck but since someone mentioned a rasp - I thought I would pass this along.

I use a $15 dollar Stanley I bought at the local home improvement store, but it had to be tuned. By that, I mean I lapped the blade and sharpened it on my japanese water stones, flattened the sole of the spokeshave, then flattened the back of the chipbreaker so that it would fit tight against the blade, rounded the edge of the chipbreaker so that it would actually work correctly, then used a file to take off the paint on the spokshave itself where the blade rests so that the blade made tight contact against the bed.

Once all that was done, it worked great.

Also, I have a little 3 set spokeshave set made of brass, that I got from some mail order tool catalog, like Heartsfield, or something. All I had to do was sharpen the blade, and they worked great.