Noob Glue Question... White Vs Yellow?

Ljbarbeau

Just wondering, I have 1 gallon of titebond's white glue. I already glued my mahogany body blank with it. But now I'm starting to second guess myself. I know everybody here loves titebond's wood glue (yellow).

Is the white stuff good enough? Should I change from now on and use only the yellow stuff? Even worst, should I redo my body blank with titebond 1?

Just wondering, I have 1 gallon of titebond's white glue. I already glued my mahogany body blank with it. But now I'm starting to second guess myself. I know everybody here loves titebond's wood glue (yellow).

Is the white stuff good enough? Should I change from now on and use only the yellow stuff? Even worst, should I redo my body blank with titebond 1?

the white glue should be fine. Most woodworkers of any calibre will tell you that they use white glue when the outside temp is above 80+ degrees, The reason is, it has a longer working/set time than the yellow. That also translates to longer clamping times. Otherwise, in most stress tests of proper glue joints there is not that much difference. I use both depndng on the wood type and temp.

:)

MK

• 7 months later...

Agreed on the above. I would add that the quality of your join matters more than the glue. Even a cheap simple carpenter's glue off the cheap shelf at the import store (that is appropriate for hardwoods of course) used on a well-prepared join will outperform a quality glue on a bad one. The "quality" of a glue does not make up for the inadequacy of basic joinery work.

In that respect, Titebond white glue in comparison to Titebond I (or II, III, etc.) will have no major difference if your joinery work is fine and your clamping pressure was adequate. Hell, you could probably use jam and and get a reasonable glue join if your planing and clamping is up to snuff. :-D