Vintage '57 Strat Or American Deluxe With V Neck Strat?

r3vo1ution1991

So I'm looking at buying one of the guitars in the topic heading (the '57 being the Reissue version, not the real deal), but I'm not sure which to get. I really like what I hear about the V neck on the strats compared to the typical "C" shape, so that's kinda why it's down to these two. I do like the 22 medium jumbo frets on the deluxe, and the locking tuners as well. But I also like the nitro finish on the Vintage and the thinner neck (I'm used to a Ibanez Wizard II neck on my Prestige). Any suggestions, thoughts, positives/negatives? I will also be glad to hear any other guitar ideas in the $1400-1600 price range!

Edited by r3vo1ution1991

• 4 months later...

selling these things on a daily basis...here's my thoughts.

the '57 reissue will have a thinner sound overall...more vintage...makes sense.

the american deluxe has fender's newest version of the noiseless pickups, the N3's. Unlike the last noiseless pickups fender was using, these don't suck. they're not my favorite strat pickup, but they do have a nice tone.

I do prefer the compound radius on the deluxe...but i also agree that strats (unless you're using it as a "super-strat" a la 1980's) shouldn't have jumbo frets.

As for the finishes, with a strat...it really doesn't have a huge impact on the tone. (here comes the onslaught of people saying "of course it does!") If you're in an extremely intimate setting with very delicate dynamics in a perfect room, it may be noticeable. otherwise, not a big enough change to pull either direction.

I also prefer the satin finish on a neck vs. the gloss, even nitro. if you plan on keeping the guitar, you could always use some 0000 steel wool and slick up the neck, but that's your call.

Edited by onealguitars

Strats (fender's in particular) seem to ALWAYS be hit or miss with me. Everything from the squier up to the custom shops I've played were either REALLY good, or "meh". I own 3 Fenders, a 94 40th anniversary (my baby), a 2002 american standard, and a 50th anniversary squier (which is just as good as my other two). My POINT is that you should really have it in your hand and let the guitar choose for you.

Other kickass guitars I would recommend trying since you come from the ibanez family (im an ibanez spam haha)

- Peavey Limited (tough to find in S/S/S, but they are AWESOME!)

- Peavey Wolfgang Standard (HUGE sound)

- EBMM Axis

- EBMM Silo S/S/S

- Ibanez JS1000 (older ones), these have a very vintage feel.