Getting The Same Wiring As A Tripple Shot Mounting Ring.

Pestvic

So here is my problem. I have these pickup rings. (They look so nice!)

26e72a6e.jpg

Anyway, I wanted to have the same pickup selection as the triple shot mounting ring. Problem is that these rings dont allow for the switches to be there. I thought about gutting the triple shots and drilling into these pickup rings and making a hybrid... but i'm not sure it will work...

So my electronics question is, Is there a way to achieve the same coil tapping as these pickup rings by just using switches? (i mean having the two switches per pickup that coil tap based on position.) And if it is possible.. does any wiring gurus know how to wire it up?

I'm just looking for a two humbucker, 3 way toggle, one volume, one tone, and then the pickup selection switches.

I really hope you guys can help me. I'm going to be searching for ages while I wait for a response from you guys. I mean I still have a lot of research to do about coil tapping switches and how to wire each pickup/coil to them...

I guess I suck at searching... I looked through every diagram and couldn't find the one with the two switches for each pickup. :( I don't want to bug to much though, I think ill just dissect some triple shots and let everyone know how it goes here. Thanks everyone! If anyone wants to post the diagram for me that would be awesome. Thanks guys! :))

Is this not what you're looking for?

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=prails_wiring

No one said there's two switches per pickup. I said it uses an on/off/on. You can split this switch down the middle and use two (one side each) to make a switch per pickup if you'd rather. But this will give you single-coil neck/humbucker/single-coil bridge. Make sense for the P-rail but not really others IMO. If you want something more interesting search for diagrams that use an on/on/on to do single-coil/series/parallel.

Chris

This is easy. What you want is either the front coil, the back coil, or both coils in series or parallel, right? This means you need a single FOUR-way switch, like the 4-way Telecaster blade switch. If you want the last additional choice, which is both coils out of phase with each other, you need to hook up a 5-way "Superswitch." I did that on my first one, but in practice I found it to be useless to me. You would need two 4-ways for a two-humbucker guitar - that and a 3-way to choose between pickups and a concentric tone/volume pot for each pickup gives you a hugely diverse-sounding guitar, but quite easy to manage on stage. There are rotary switches that duplicate the functions of the blades too. But you can never get four functions out of a three-way switch, so you're stuck with blade or rotary switches. And then just use the diagram for wiring a Telecaster 4-way, but each coil is treated as a pickup. If my brain is working right here (NOT guaranteed) you'd need THREE mini-switches per pickup to duplicate this with those alone.

Yeah you both are getting it.

Verhoevenc. That diagram is acurate but I'd need to know how to wire that setup with each humbucker separately with two seperate 3way switches. Not both pickups onto one switch. I saw that one but it wasn't the full diagram that I was looking for with the pots, switches and all. I think that's where things got confused.

Stubhead I know what you are saying also. I used to run a rotary and it was a hassle. That's why I switched to the triple shots on each humbucker. So yes I get what you mean by having a 4 way switch. My idea on it was to have two separate 3way switches like the triple shot and knowing how to wire it that way instead of a 4 way switch for each humbucker.

Ill have to make a video of what my guitar does. It's a 3 way pickup toggle switch with two triple shots on each humbucker. So the possible combinations are way up there. I can put each pickup in any configuration I want and switch to them each with the 3way pickup switch. Or even get crazy with it by having like the neck pickup in single coil and the bridge in parallel then switching the pickup toggle to the middle to get some crazy sound. Its hard to explain.. Or maybe I just need to re read what you guys are saying. I might be missing something.

I'm trying to figure out how to replicate it without having to use the triple shot pickup rings at all. So basically i'm going to be wiring two 3way mini toggles to each humbucker.

Anyway, idk i'm confused. I've been reading a ton about how to wire most things like this and my mind is a mess. Sorry if I sound a little stupid in this post haha. I've been trying to search for an answer instead of just just being a lame guy and asking for a direct answer here.

Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by Pestvic

I told you how.

"You can split this switch down the middle and use two (one side each) to make a switch per pickup if you'd rather."

Literally, take those 6 lugs on the switch... split them in half and use the 3 left on one switch, the 3 right on the other. Voila, two switches. Those switches are called DPDT switch because they're DOUBLE pole, double throw. IE: double pole means one side's an independent circuit, and so is the other.

No picture has ever helped me out more with electronics than this one:

DPDT_switches.jpg

What it's saying is that in the different positions it connects the circuits of the like colors.

Chris

PS: As for it being a full diagram... read and learn a bit man. If you look at the SD diagram it tells you what wire to now consider the neck hot and bridge hot... so just find yourself a nice '3-way, 1 vol, 1 tone' or whatever you want diagram and plug them in as instructed.

• Like 1

Here we go! After three days of searching a LOT I found this on another forum.

TSToggle.jpg

TSToggleDPDT.jpg

see this gives me the wiring for each pickup and the hots will go to the pickup toggle switch. :)

If this is what you were trying to tell me then im sorry for not understanding it. I finally found the diagram that I wanted :-P

As far as the second pickup being attached to the same switches. I'm just going to use 3 way 3 plug switches (if this works?). This way it will keep each pickup separate and not keep both of them in the same modes based on what the main switch is doing.

Edited by Pestvic

I told you how.

"You can split this switch down the middle and use two (one side each) to make a switch per pickup if you'd rather."

Literally, take those 6 lugs on the switch... split them in half and use the 3 left on one switch, the 3 right on the other. Voila, two switches. Those switches are called DPDT switch because they're DOUBLE pole, double throw. IE: double pole means one side's an independent circuit, and so is the other.

No picture has ever helped me out more with electronics than this one:

DPDT_switches.jpg

What it's saying is that in the different positions it connects the circuits of the like colors.

Chris

PS: As for it being a full diagram... read and learn a bit man. If you look at the SD diagram it tells you what wire to now consider the neck hot and bridge hot... so just find yourself a nice '3-way, 1 vol, 1 tone' or whatever you want diagram and plug them in as instructed.

btw thanks for this man. I read a TON and know a lot more and get these now haha. Thanks to everyone else as well. I'm going to have fun trying a ton of different stuff :-P I might wire what I want then use a push pull for a phase switch.

Anyway as far as me wanting to use separate switches I'd have to use SPDT switches correct?

the wiring diagram is not hard at all. the hard part is finding the switches to do this with, as well as if you look at the triple shot it is slightly raised on the switch side to accommodate the switches. not a bad idea we had something similar with led indicators on our ibanez rg when i sold them in Georgia years ago. if you find some switcfhes let me know i am looking in mousers catalog right now and haven't found a suitable one perhaps canibalizing a dip switch

Yeah I definitely got to do a lot of tests. I wont be able to for a while. Guessing another month until I can get some parts. Its been awesome reading up on this stuff though. Cant wait to try it all out. I'm going to just run some normal three way switches and see what happens :-P if not ill try and call seymour and ask them what kind of switches they would need to be.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 years later...