The Twins

Started some carving.Decided to use the flap disk on the grinder to save some time

377640_439486392758687_639141176_n.jpg

The first body I am trying a more progressive style of contouring

377640_439486396092020_443287409_n.jpg

While #2 is more traditional

377640_439486409425352_419336535_n.jpg

The back of #1

377640_439486402758686_188018305_n.jpg

I was just getting started on the hand sanding when I was forced to stop by the heat of the day...I was sweating all over the guitars and that just won't do...I'll hit it again this evening I guess

A few dents and scratches...It certainly works easily,but I doubt I would ever seek it out intentionally again.An entire guitar body made of it would be very vulnerable,I would think.

Yeah. That's one of the reasons I put a shell of Z-poxy on mine. It does sound good though.

SR

I also have a big heavy Dewalt DW625EK for bodies & necks.

I don't shape my bodies with a router.Too much risk for me.Even the thought of it scares me. :blink:

Its not all that bad. I take my bodies down to about 2-3mm from the finished profile with the band saw. with that little to take off the big router is easy to run around. But I only do 1/4 of a body at a time so that it never gets to a point where the router is held in a weak grip. & the depth is handled by going around 3 times (depending on the depth it could be more)

So rout the front face - top horn about 12-15mm deep, reposition & reclamp the body, rout the forearm area, reposition & reclamp bla bla bla. Go all the way round once then reset the depth for the next 12-15mm & start over. So a body has about 24 distinct tasks to edge profile it, A neck has about 8.

But still, Cant argue with your results - your stuff rocks.

I always underestimate how long sanding takes...but i have one body completely sealed,and the other needs the edges sanded and sealed...I had to do the tops and backs as I got them sanded so I could keep from scratching them up...

And a small teaser pic...

311659_439914816049178_1005401604_n.jpg

It's crazy what you'll do to keep on sealing a body after the sun goes down...but i really want to level the CA in the morning and start spraying the finish

I'll be happier once I black out the cavities with the conducting paint I always use...I am going back on my thought to use humbucker rings...I did a mock up earlier and it just looks too good without rings.It means I will have to fabricate some blocks to glue in to the cavities for the pickup ears to sit on,but I don't mind that.The flash is on in the first pic...the actual color of the body is much lighter

582142_439943449379648_24992282_n.jpg

Spanish Cedar looks exactly like mahogany when it's sealed...but it smells better when sanding

582142_439943452712981_185616875_n.jpg

All in all i am enjoying the ease of working on a body that is not attached to a neck...I may just get over my preference for set necks!

I did something different this time around,by the way...I used thin CA to seal... two coats of it.Then after that dried I scuff sanded it and applied medium CA to make it thick enough to level...

The thinking was that the thin stuff would sink into the pores and make the wood appear "deeper"...and it seems to have worked well

Something doesn't flow right about this one...I am going to have to rework it to look better..it looks very...unsubtle somehow

It lacks elegance or something..no i don't know why the upper part is in bold

394628_441271299246863_1174644376_n.jpg

It might just be the angle of this shot but the treble horn looks much fatter and more rounded than the bass horn to me.

Other shots make them look more equal.....

Wes try tracing your body and on that tracing bring the outside edge of the treble horn in a little and taper it towards the tip a little -- just slightly more pointed. It is shorter than the bass side so it needs to be porportionally narrower too to look balanced to your eye.

SR

Other shots make them look more equal.....

Wes try tracing your body and on that tracing bring the outside edge of the treble horn in a little and taper it towards the tip a little -- just slightly more pointed. It is shorter than the bass side so it needs to be porportionally narrower too to look balanced to your eye.

SR

The angle of the shot is not helping - But - I think the bottom horn looks a bit heavy, Lumpen even :huh:

I think the situation is exagerated by the slight carve there making it look distended aswell.

Also. The angle that is set up between the 2 innermost points of the cut outs does not match that of the tips of the horns. The bottom horn appears longer because of it.

But this may all be due to the numerious profile edges on the top due to the carve. Id do as Scott suggests & trace it out. See it it has the same issues as an outline.