The Twins

I went through that earlier this year.

Once again I am glad to know I am not the only one.Sometimes when these things start to go wrong I feel like The Lone Dumbass...

Best one this year was an angled input jack... that had so much angle when you plug the cable in it touches the strap lock. Now I can't use the strap lock without a short barrel or angled cable.

The other was not checking my 7 string tuner templates before drilling headstocks. The holes got progressively closer together as they approached the headstock... what a mess it made.

I got it wired up.

Scott..it sounds like a 100% maple guitar,near as I can tell.I don't even know if the Spanish Cedar on the back has any influence at all.The tone is very bright(trebly)...sparkly cleans and piercing highs...very spanky when clean,very cutting and edgy on high gain.

For leads it is sweet and cuts through.For metal rhythms it's very 80s...think early Exodus.I thought this might be this way so I put a cap on the tone that according to Stewmac provides a more severe treble bleed off than normal...so I can sweep all the treble out if needed

Best one this year was an angled input jack... that had so much angle when you plug the cable in it touches the strap lock. Now I can't use the strap lock without a short barrel or angled cable.

The other was not checking my 7 string tuner templates before drilling headstocks. The holes got progressively closer together as they approached the headstock... what a mess it made.

Guess what mistake I made on this one?

I forgot to drill for the bridge ground...I am so used to active wiring I never even noticed until I was wiring it up and saw it on the diagram.I wired it up without it because my wiring in my conex is very clean...no buzzing of any sort even without the ground and no tingly feelings either.I am extremely glad that this is only a test assembly,because I usually don't assemble beforehand and only catching it on final assembly would be very frustrating

I use a cap on my tones that does the same thing....probably the same one. My guitars so far haven't been overly bright--I just like the idea of having all that range. You can get some pretty flipping dark tones with it rolled all the way back, very cool in the right spot. Do I use it?--next to never, but I like knowing it's there if I want to.

SR

I set this one aside for a few days to settle,and I thought it might be a good chance to get the overall look of this captured

527251_453133958060597_698270789_n.jpg

The 50% cap is a good idea, carves look so much better when they don't reveal the base. The top grain looks wild.

Thanks.The 50% thing is because on Ebay last year I noticed 3/4" to 1" thick wood was available in a better selection at better prices,so I just bought a bunch of it.The other guitar in this set does have the armrest cutting through the cap.It's a strange look for sure,but I hope I can get it to look okay

• 6 months later...

So I have decided I like Spanish Cedar on bodies but not necks.The tone is great,but it is a fragile wood...easy to work on a body but easy to screw up on a neck.

The pickups are Tone Zone bridge and Air Classic neck.I have dual 500k pots but I think I may swap the tone pot for a 250k to tone down the highs a bit

I just noticed this thread for the first time... What is it with you and twins???

lol

Anywho, I like them! I like how the arm contour has the back wood peeking into it. Your simple beauty builds are easy to pick out! I think you have a signature style of building, my friend.

Also, scroll saws are for pussies.

Edited by FireFly
  • Like 1