Guitar Of The Month For September

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wow, only four entries this month?

ScottR - Got my vote. The top alone on that instrument is worth a million points, and the all-the-way-through F hole is awesome.

DemonX - Keeping up the high standard with your finishing as always. Love the colour. Not completely sold on the 23 fret neck - for some reason I've always preferred even-numbered frets on my necks, but that's just obsessive-compulsive-me .

Shad Peters - Beautiful guitar. That buckeye burl is pretty crazy! A bit too intense for my tastes, but a stunning instrument nonetheless.

Tough month for me to pick, I like both Scottr's build and demonyx very much. I'm not a huge fan of the color on either of them but that is just a matter of personal taste, they were both executed very well. I'm not a huge fan of the through f-hole but I do like the body shape and the carve on Scott's a little better. For me the clincher was the back, the backside of Scott's is beautiful. For this reason it got my vote

Only 4 this month but 4 good ones!

Curtisa - The headstock exectution/styling kills this for me but otherwise its a pretty nice guitar. I've just added a Tassy B/wood guitar to next months poll. Good to see some Aussie timbers getting used!

ScottR - Not really sure why but theres something about the front that doesnt sit right with me, the back pic looks great though.

Shad - Yet another nice one, that top timber turned out great. Very pretty colors. Very nice guitar.

curtisa - Deep Earth; Very sleek, great construction, I would have liked to see a decal on the headstock, curves really compliment the natural timber.

ScottR - B.B. Red; In a sea of superstrats, Les Pauls, Explorers, Vs and teles, this is so original and so beautifully carved. If it had a whammy bar on it I would be dying of guitar envy right now. Killer top.

demonix - Celon Blue Quilt top; Skillful and clean construction, great colour, the design would be improved by having at least 22 frets and the machine heads and logo moved down a few mm on the headstock. Chrome hardware is really working with the azure blue, it's rock.

shad peters - Buckeye Carved top Vixen; Gorgeous construction and finish, the been lying on the forest floor for a month finish is going to restrict its appeal for some and I think it needs pickup covers to match the rest of the hardware. The headstock and logo are really great.

4 fantastic guitars this month.

Edited by Muzz

MUZZ - this headstock is the "redesign" of my last one which the tuners were as you suggest - however it ran into problems as the "E" string was pulled at too much of an angle, that little bit of difference in position makes a lot of difference in practicality. So I've moved the up and slighly re-angled the headstock making it functional. I prefered the "appearance" of my last version, but I prefer the fact that this version actually works!

I agree - 4 stellar builds. All of them winners in their own right - i guess for me it all came down to the pics that were presented and what they showed me.

curtisa__ Nice wood selection. I like the headstock and the tip o' the hat to Parker. Nice work. A bit 'plain' looking , but nice all the way around. Looks like a good player. I don't care much for tremolo systems without a locking mechanism , but that's just me being nit-picky.

ScottR__ I like the shape of the body, the headstock and the volute. For a guy who doesn't build guitars very often, you are a master. Killer color and shine. Even the back shot just looks amazing. The carve and the cavity cover are again, just awesome. Great pics.

Demonx__ I like the blue color- looks like an ocean shot from above.Looks like a great player . The pics leave a bit to be desired for me though. The trem arm missing is not pretty ( to me ). Also the tilt that the floyd is sitting at tells me it isn't set up yet. Again, not nice to look at. I personally would've used pup rings too. A 21 fret traditional neck calls for traditional trim,IMHO. The HS *looks* a bit off-center due to the logo/tuners being off the edge a bit too much. but it is a nice looking strat for a scrap build. I think the pics did it more injustice than anything. I'm sure its a killer axe.

ShadPeters__ The Burl is great- I just don't care for the body shape. Something about a pointy SC that turns me off. I do like the hardware, and the back shot. Also love the logo. My one gripe is the pics. The first two are too similar. A close-up would've been great. You make sweet guitars, so just keep up the good work, and congrads on last months win!!

Curtisa: There is nothing wrong with this build for me. I liked the wood choice for the body, the carve, the direct mount pups and the bridge choice. This could easily be the GOTM for most months. The only thing that prevented me from voting for you was the choice of fretboards. It blends in to the body wood too much for me. Maple or ebony would have made it stand apart, and for me, that's something I like to see. However, many will disagree with me.

ScottR: To me, the pictures likely do not do this guitar justice. instead of picking on the things I don't care for I'll congratulate you on the amount of votes you've received so far.

Demonx: I really thought that this was one of your best guitars to date. I've continually been impressed with the high level of work you've been putting out. I wish you lived in Arazona because you'd be an asset to Neal's shop and as far as I'm concerned, your work is absolutely on par with his. I was all set to hit the "vote" button for you until I saw the Buckeye. When I saw your submission for next month, my decision was made easier. No one is going to beat that one out in my eyes so this month I'll vote for the Buckeye and next month you get my vote for sure.

Shad Peters: WOW! I'd love to have this guitar on my wall. Killer wood choices, killer hardware choices and finished to perfection!

curtisa - Deep Earth; Very sleek, great construction, I would have liked to see a decal on the headstock, curves really compliment the natural timber.

Thanks Muzz. I agree that the headstock is a bit sparse without a logo. It's something that I'll have to get on to for future builds.

Curtisa: There is nothing wrong with this build for me. I liked the wood choice for the body, the carve, the direct mount pups and the bridge choice. This could easily be the GOTM for most months. The only thing that prevented me from voting for you was the choice of fretboards. It blends in to the body wood too much for me. Maple or ebony would have made it stand apart, and for me, that's something I like to see. However, many will disagree with me.

No, I'm with you too. The sheoak fretboard was a little bit disappointing once it was coated. The flame pattern lost a lot of contrast once the satin was applied, and tended to blend in with the rest of the timbers rather than stand out as eye-catching. Thanks for your comments though :)

The sheoak fretboard was a little bit disappointing once it was coated.

I disagree. I like that board with the blackwood.

I've just ordered a flame sheoak board for myself so learning from your mistake I'll have to remember to clear it rather than oil or wax so to enhance the grain rather than kill it.

I can't see the poll option, but my vote is for Shad Peters. That guitar is perfection.

I don't really like listing what I like and dont like about other guitars, but they are all nice and all better than what I do.

Edited by Prostheta
poll fixed (as in repaired!)

Is it me or it's becoming more difficult to choose a winner every month ?!

Only four entries, and all GOTM clear candidates !

Forced to choose it was between Peters' Vixen and Scott's BBRed for me. Two real beauties.

In the end I chose Scott's because of it's more daring design, all those contours ! The back carving involving the control cover really complements the overall design. Love it.

Congratulations to all because the execution of all four instruments is superb !

I understand your feeling about critiquing but as a person whose put several guitars in past GOTM, I find the critiquing to be the best part of the competition. Sometimes, positive and negative feedback lacks in build threads and the GOTM is sometimes the last place a person can get honest feedback about their build quality. I always try to learn from both the positive and negative so I can hone my craft at everything I do.

I can't see the poll option, but my vote is for Shad Peters. That guitar is perfection.

I don't really like listing what I like and dont like about other guitars, but they are all nice and all better than what I do.

Like the rest of you, I kind of wish we had more entrants this month.....but we don't, so we'll have to settle for quality over quantity this go round.

curtisa-- I love everything about this guitar, but most of all the top. That blackwood is gorgeous! You may take a couple of hits for lack of contrast, but I think all the wood choices complement each other nicely. The guitar looks like a completed theme....if that makes any sense.

DemonX--Top notch work as always. I think we'd all be shocked if you did anything less than stellar. Oddly enough, just like there is something about my top that you can't quite put your finger on, for me there is something about yours as well. At first, I thought I'd like to se a bit more contrast in the dark and light blues in the quilt....but every time I look at it, I see plenty of contrast. It's almost like it is very uniform looking color wise......but that is daft too--it's quilt for crying out loud. I think maybe I'm picturing it with a black burst, and prefer that mental image better. Don't mind me, it's a beautiful guitar.

Shad Peters--Your work, this and all the others appear to be flawless. It reminds me of the work of Chris V. and David Myka, with all the details and ornamentation. I only wish you'd come around a little more often and show us how you put together one of those awesome builds. I love the top on this one because it is so unusual. I think it might be polarizing--some will love it some won't--for the same reason.

Mine was a design risk, I suppose. It started as the idea of the through f-hole and I kind of built a guitar around the idea. The front was a new carve for me, and I liked it so much I almost didn't put the hole in it. I'm glad I did. I'll use that carve again though with no hole. My headstock has a change in it too. Gone is the little spine that has run from the volute to the carve at the tip. In trying to get closer to a straight string pull and yet retain the main shape, there is really not enough room for it between the tuning machines. I'm going to have to rethink that though, because anytime I show off one of my others, that headstock carve gets a lot of comments.

ScottR: To me, the pictures likely do not do this guitar justice. instead of picking on the things I don't care for I'll congratulate you on the amount of votes you've received so far.

I'd love to hear about the things you don't care for. They'll help me with future designs.

SR

I usualy just place a silent vote and dont critique in the polls but since some of you have expressed a desire for it here some of my comments. Take them all with a grain of salt as theyre just my personal prefrences.

Curtisa.

I like that you used indigenous wood selections. I agree with what others have expressed about the color contrast of the fretboard selection but then again I'm an ebony guy. I like the headstock shape on this and the Hipshot tuner selection but I would have liked to see just slightly more mass in the upper and lower horns.

ScottR.

This got my vote. The color and fugure on this is complex and subtle at the same time. The spacers under the tuners seems to have been born out of necessity and makes a nice detail that pushes this design forward. Another detail that does it for me on this is the cover plate and how it allows the back contour to wrap around the end of the guitar. The F hole was a daring design that really makes this unique for me and sets it apart from the norm.

DemonX

I love my pointy headstock super strats and this is no exception. It looks like a solid workhorse. The one thing that looks off to me is the tuner placement. When I look closely the string pull looks centered which I'm guessing is why they are where they are. I would have shaved off a bit of material to give em a little room.

Shad.

You build some seriously cool guitars and this is no exception. I'm sure the top doesnt do it for everyone but I dig it. Very organic and earthy. If I wasnt so enamored with Scotts F-hole design and you hadnt won the last two this would have received my vote.

It would be nice if you would share more build progress with this forum. I follow your threads over at MLP but theres probably people here who dont get over there much. Cant wait to see your Caribbean burst finished.

Shad Peters--Your work, this and all the others appear to be flawless. It reminds me of the work of Chris V. and David Myka, with all the details and ornamentation. I only wish you'd come around a little more often and show us how you put together one of those awesome builds. I love the top on this one because it is so unusual. I think it might be polarizing--some will love it some won't--for the same reason.

Scott thanks for the kind words, I don't think I belong in the same category as david myka, but I'll take the compliment though ;). I have plans for some future build threads I would like to include here on project guitar. Right now I don't have much of anything that isn't already half completed and I really like to start build threads from the beggining rather than pick up half way through. I'm fairly active on several forums, and I try not to post up duplicate build threads either on different cites which makes it kinda tricky at times. I'm honored that you would like to see some of my process though, and hopefully I don't let you down when the time comes to start some new threads.

I think you are probably right about that top being somewhat polarizing(and the hardware choice for that matter), but that is ok. Guitars like this seem to be that way and I really wasn't expecting to win this month (if I were I would not have voted for yours lol :) ), I mostly just entered to get some feedback, the guys on here are always great about that and never let me get away with anything.

I figured Scott's was going to get the most votes, but I really had to go with Shad Peters' entry. Just stunning woods... I think there are only 4 entries because when folks saw the quality of those 4 entries, they probably figured "No way... Not this month!" Brilliant work, all!