Ken Lawrence Chamber Brase Bass Copy

This bass body is in three pieces- here I am routing the top to shape

001-2.jpg

I made a quick lay out template and traced on to the middle section of the body- and drilled starter holes and used a jigsaw to remove the material

005-2.jpg

after cleaning up the jigsaw cuts a bit with a file- I attached the middle section onto the top- and removed material leaving about a 1/4" on the top piece

006-2.jpg

007-3.jpg

here I have the middle attached to the back and I am doing the same thing as I did with the top- though I am leaving the bottom half wall I bit thicker as it will have a control cavity behind it

008-2.jpg

not sure why- but I ran a small route between the chambers- last minute thing- really not sure why- dont plan on using it for wiring- but its there if I ever need it!

009.jpg

gluing the middle and bottom sections of the body- when I glue the top on- since it is already cut to shape- it will become the template for the middle and back pieces

010-1.jpg

So I futzed around with this last night a bit.

tracing paper on the template to get the general layout of the soundholes

001-3.jpg

I layed out the hollowed out area on the top (white pencil lines)- and overlayed the tracing paper with carbon paper underneath that to transfer the layout. 2 things here- the body (by design) is slighly smaller than a real ken lawrence- its not as wide- I did this on purpose so I could use this wood. The solid part of the body where the neck will join is therefore larger- so- I will need to adjust the soundholes to fit within the hollowed out section.

002-5.jpg

you can see where I have adjusted the holes to fit within the hollow area

003-4.jpg

I started to drill the holes- mostly worried about the very end sections of the holes here- getting those radius's with drill bits- I will be cleaning this all up this weekend- I may finally get a need to use my Italian Riffler set that has been sitting collecting dust for the last 20 years.

004-4.jpg

so- after trying the riffler set and some various files- decided the best way to attack these soundholes was with a dremel and inlay bits. You can see to the left where I ended up "squaring" a radius in the one soundhole- gotta fix that. I also ended up routing the back of this board a little thinner so there was less material showing thru the holes (I did that after this photo)

001-4.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I set up the router table with a 3/8' roundover bit to see what this would look like. Not sure- I think I am going to keep it like this- I am thinking 1/2" would be too much.

I guess I never mentioned this previously- but this build is somewhat of a beater build for me- or maybe I shouldnt say it like that- bottom line- the woods (maple for neck and mineral stained poplar for the body) were sourced from........homedepot.

yep- a few years back- I spied that board and said- I gotta buy it. I got the maple from the homedepot by where I work in Atlanta- they had maple in there at one time- both hard and soft, as well as some other woods you dont normally see at the HD. I think that store was some sort of a test bed- plus- the homes around there run in the $$$- Elton John has a condo maybe a mile or so from there- anyway- at one time they had all sorts of stuff you dont see in every HD. Guess they figured the area had the bread- so test stuff in there the rest of us poor slobs might not be that into. I have been sitting on this wood probably 8 or more years. Unfortunately the poplar is dry as hell- and it dents and scratches wicked easily- you can see in the pic by where your forearm would be- I have already had to steam out a nice dent I put in it flipping it over on the router table- spanked the (rounded) corner of the router table and put a nice mash in there. It came out- but I will have to reshape that part of the roundover.

001-5.jpg

002-6.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The perils of Poplar. I presume that you are putting a comparatively hard finish on there to protect the wood after this is finished? I can't easily backtrack through the thread to find this out because my mouse batteries are on charge leaving me having to tab through the page....bleh...

• 2 months later...

so I mentioned in one of my other build threads that the neck on this one ran into a hickup. I was starting to shape the sides of the neck on this with the belt sander- and I realized I hadnt tried the truss rod. I typically give it a turn or two left and right to make sure I didnt glue it down etc. So- I put the allen wrench in- and I no more than get the wrench in the hole and the head falls off the truss rod, like it was barely attached. ok-so-surgery time. This is a first for me. well- it didnt go too well. I was able to get the rod out- but I had tear out along the neck. I drilled from the back of the neck and started to route out from there- and this maple just shredded all to hell. I pulled out the rod- replaced it with another- and then filled the back with a filler strip of cherry. You can see the glue/sawdust lines below. Not pretty. I was about to start over- but this is 32" scale- and I really didnt want to waste the finger board- so- depending on how this ends up after carving I may end up painting neck- we will see.

005-3.jpg

• 8 months later...

So- resurrecting another project from my long absence from the group.

Trivia time. and yes I will mail (world wide) a prize to the person who guesses correctly.

QUESTION- What is the wood I am using for fret lines on this?

Hint- this wood comes from the mid-west/central part of the USA. the color(look at the dust) should also be a hint. I will also throw in that American Indians used it, and farmers still use it today. The thin on the left has been sitting for a few years - the thin on the right was just sanded. more hints if no one guesses. I have used maple, bondo (under poly), etc over the years on fretless lines- I sort of wanted something different here. Seeing how I already jacked the heck out of the back of this neck- I figured- eh- what the hell. Try something different.

Prize will be music or luthiery related and I promise it wont "suck".

001-12.jpg

002-14.jpg

That is Osage Orange, bois d'ark, or hedge is what we called going up in the midwest.

If I'm correct, let me throw a caution at you for how you are using it. While it is a brilliant yellow orange freshly cut, it goes as dark as walnut as it ages, kind of a deep honey brown.

SR

and we have a winner.

Scott ,I know how it darkens- well aware. I have a couple of boards that I have had for oh lets see- 10 years+- and it has darkened up a bit. Which is fine- orange may look stupid on a fretboard- and if it darkens- so be it. Might end up looking better that way. I will post pics of the boards later this weekend. I had these "thins" for years- and wanted to use them up- I realized I only had enough maple thins made up for half a fingerboard- and so- eh- we will give this a try.

So- prize time- look to PM- sending now. and you can post when you receive so everyone doesnt think I full of bs.

in case anyone was interested- here are two boards of osage orange. I make notes on my lumber- these two say purchased Sept 1997, these boards are 48" x 8.5" wide each, which is tough finding- at least outside the midwest and central parts of the country. These trees tend to twist from what I am told. These boards were bright yellow orange when I bought them. This book match has been wrapped in cardboard all this time- otherwise I would have expected the boards to have turned darker more than they have- the face of the boards that was "in" (two boards on top of each other- then wrapped in cardboard) did not turn as much as the outside faces did.

inside face (not sure what that funky spot is)

001-13.jpg

outside face

003-9.jpg

And you just did it free hand with the Dremel without a template ?

thanks Luis-

I used the dremel freehand. Once I traced the holes onto the wood- and then adjusted for my body being a bit smaller than a normal KL- I used a drill to get most of the wood out. Started to use files but using files at that point was a pain- so-this wood cuts like butter- and the dremel plowed thru it pretty quickly. I still have a few hours probably left to fine tune and completely smooth out all the contours in those holes. There are some lines that just dont flow smoothly enough to my liking- and I just need to sit down and carefully fine tune those with files. I did one of the medium sized holes already and it took me 20 minutes- so- I probably have a good 3-4 hours left just cleaning and smoothing those lines. My rifler/needle files dont exactly remove a ton of material- and it just takes time to get them "just exactly so".