Archtop 02

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you going with a maple fingerboard, or there some other reason why the purple-heart laminates don't show on the front?

Not sure about your question, but the purple heart goes all the way through.I have a very thin lam over the truss rod.Not sure what fret board I will be using yet.The neck is maple, purple heart, maple, with purple heart wings and neck extension .Where the neck connects to the body ,I have a small bit of lam on each side.Hope that answers your question.If not , try me again.hahaha thanks.

Here are some more progress pics :

9-11-12027.jpg

9-11-12010.jpg

9-11-12014.jpg

9-11-12022.jpg

I have bent the sides ...popular was used. and started carving the back, I plan to use cyder for the top.You will notice my ,state issued bench top...and my shop ( one third of the car space ) with refreshment center and open fan unit.Nothing but the best money can not buy.

I will be using Indian rose wood....for the fret board,,and some for the bridge.I got the sides bent today, using popular and did some shaping on the back.

Man, it's like a wood smorgasbord! By my count you'll have 6 different types of wood in this build, not counting stuff like linings. You'll surely have some major tone voodoo going on <_<

So what are you going to use those saws for?

I will be using Indian rose wood....for the fret board,,and some for the bridge.I got the sides bent today, using popular and did some shaping on the back.

Man, it's like a wood smorgasbord! By my count you'll have 6 different types of wood in this build, not counting stuff like linings. You'll surely have some major tone voodoo going on <_<

So what are you going to use those saws for?

You can always use a small saw.I was buying some tools and seen the saw for acoustic bridge holes, I just thought ,I can make that.

• 2 weeks later...

here are some neck pics:

archtop02014.jpg

archtop02009.jpg

archtop02008-1.jpg

The inlay in the fretboard is maple....I drew lines from fret marker position to the end of the neck..then cut out lines and fielded them in with maple.I plan to use bone for fret side markers.I am also in the process of rounding the fret ends ,instead of just file and 35% angle.I will take more pictures soon.I am still shaping the back,too.

I was just carving a top and thought I'd better check out how this is coming :killinme

Did you just use really thin strips of maple for the inlay?

Yes, I just cut the lines and filled them with maple strips.I had to wet the maple to fit it in, because the lines are not straight .Then I watered down some glue ,rubed it on and wiped it off.More pics ta come .

• 3 weeks later...