Entry for October 2019's Guitar Of The Month is now open!
ENTER HERE

ScottR

Carving Peaches And Molly....or Wally Needs A Girlfriend.

Yeah, some more specific drawings will be in order prior to a repeat effort. I do make sketches of areas that require some precision to make it recognizable.....but I didn't realize what specifically was causing it to go bad till a few hours ago.

Great timing there Riffle. (huh, my emoticans don't seem to work just now)

As for blues songs, I don't know of any with that exact subject, but this one is not too far off.

SR

Scott some times the blues doesnt do it some times it takes a country song

In this case i think a song by the great Hank Williams is in order kaw-liga

Dang, it's been a long time since I heard that old classic. Good stuff.

And you're right. If you want a real cry in your beer song, you've got to go country. If there's a thing that's got you down, there is probably a country song that will explore the problem and share your pain. There's probably a blues song that is either joking about the problem or otherwise trying to help you overcome it. And there's likely a modern rock or rap song that wants you to get pissed off about the problem and confront the cause of your pain.

To me, the blues are not about being sad. They are about feeling the music, the emotion, and overcoming the stuff holding you back or getting you down. They are about rising above the pain and oppression (that's how they were born any way). Instead of being about the stuff that makes you sad, they're really about surviving the sadness and getting happy again.

SR

After stepping away for a few weeks I decided to finish the pieces. I spent quite a bit of time recarving her neck and shoulders and upper chest. Instead of having a bust....she's going to be a bust.

IMG_2288_zpsa5c28004.jpg

IMG_2290_zpsd6d938e2.jpg

Once that was in the neighborhood, I had to redifien the jawline to match the neck........and so on up her head.

IMG_2292_zpsef89546b.jpg

IMG_2294_zpse7010a2f.jpg

She's still got a ways to go.....and she's got some flaws I may not be able to fix.

But she used to be a gnome.

SR

It is interesting. From the side she almost looks in proportion.

IMG_2295_zps8921028f.jpg

But from other angles, she gets ethnic.

IMG_2297_zps68e0a5fe.jpg

In fact she's gone the several ethnic influences getting to this point.

IMG_2296_zps334bc0f3.jpg

Looking at these pics shows me areas that are out of whack. Other times I see stuff when I hold her that doesn't show up in pics....now I'm seeing things in the pics that weren't so obvious up close and personal. I suppose that is a good illustration for the improtance of looking at a problem from all angles and viewpoints before tackling it.

IMG_2298_zps074952a5.jpg

Pat Ramsey came up several times today. I couldn't find the song I was looking for......but this is one of my favorite blues songs, and he does it well.

In fact I like this song so much .......

My son saw this guy when he was at Mizzou. He said about 12 people showed up, but the dude played his ass off anyway.

That's as it should be.

SR

• Like 1

JIm-Morrison-Grave-Top-Tenz.jpg

....but seriously! Shame that things didn't work out exactly how you planned however I am of the opinion that people with skills should never sweat these things. After all, this isn't a one-off that you are unable to repeat because you have those skills. :peace

Less boobjobs next time. They usually look best as they are first time around unless of course you are scarfing a couple onto a flat surface.

Dang Pros, I'm not sure about the symbolism you're putting out there. Maybe Jim's bust is showing solidarity with Molly's bust.....or perhaps it's time to bury her and move on. :P

No sweat here though, it's a learning experience. Ol' bear and maybe one other carving had small models that I used as a guide. Nearly all the rest just started out as a couple of rough sketches like Molly here. Usually the wood has a fair amount to say about what it wants to be, and how it's going to turn out. Molly had a lot to say. I suppose that's what I get for listening to a hardwood headed female gnome.

I don't usually like re-doing.....well, pretty much anything. But I'm thinking I may take everything I've learned here and give it a go. I'll certainly do a number of more detailed drawings that solve all the transition trouble this little girl gave me. Besides, I'm pretty sure I can hear Wes's chinaberry log calling to me. It's not so far away. But not right away. There's a new guitar taking shape in my head.

Boob jobs are definitely overrated.

Deanoh, I'm glad you still like her, but Wally still says you can't mount her, spinner or not.

SR

She scares me a little too Tim. Maybe I should display her in a mud puddle when she's done. It could look like she's rising up out of it.

SR

The propertions are still not right......but they are getting better.

IMG_2310_zps6c19983e.jpg

IMG_2311_zps4f6d75bc.jpg

It is odd how from some angles the propertions are pretty good, but others......not so much.

IMG_2312_zps8628adf1.jpg

IMG_2315_zps4f32b7f6.jpg

Well the ribs have been smoking all day. It's time to uncover them and put some sauce on them while I get cleaned up.

SR

• Like 1

Very cool. Loving the pics and write up!

I also like the nod to Stairway to Heaven at the :45ish second mark of the Albert Castiglia video, hehe.

Do you listen to any Sean Costello? He does a great version of I'm a Ram, Love is Amazing and his song Going Home I like a lot as well.

Sean Costello....I have We Can Get Together. It is an absolutely wonderful CD, every song is great.

Glad you are enjoying this. I am enjoying it now again, myself.

SR

Why not?

I've been listening to this guy for quite a while but these are the first videos I have seen of him playing. Beautiful finger work. That P-90 loaded LP sounds great.

Unfortunately he's gone some five years now.

SR

• Like 1

I think......I'm not sure, but I think Molly is coming back.

IMG_2322_zpseca14ce9.jpg

IMG_2323_zps2cb50814.jpg

Slowly but surely.

IMG_2324_zps4dab4b78.jpg

IMG_2326_zpsb425cdfa.jpg

I see there is evidence of my grievance with the white wing doves.......

SR

I have got to get her eyes done. She is creeping me out.

IMG_2328_zps126a8c7d.jpg

And I think I need to close her mouth a bit.

Sorry Deanooooohhhh.

Is that even possible?

IMG_2329_zpsfb9526dd.jpg

Mike Zito was in town again last night....was I there?

This is his new band , The Wheel.

And with our old buddy Albert Castiglia.

Damn, I would of liked to have seen that one.

SR

I pretty much sanded off one of my finger prints this weekend. Molly is slowly getting better looking. But I shared her time with the grilling of fajitas and stuffed jalapenos......mmmmmmm.....instead of taking any pictures. Maybe tonight.

In the meantime Wally has been begging me to play this:

And I just found this: Joe Bonamassa doing a tribute to Gary Moore.

That would have been really good......if Gary Moore hadn't done it first. As good as Joe is, nobody put the amount of feeling in guitar playing that Gary Moore did.

SR

Snow......brrrrrrrrr.

I had pretty much accomplished the impossible and got her mouth mostly closed.

IMG_2330_zpsad61222c.jpg

IMG_2331_zps3c0baa69.jpg

IMG_2337_zpsc0e371f4.jpg

IMG_2338_zpse1c26f05.jpg

Although I must say it does appear to be coming open again.

Typical.

SR

Ermmm......

It seems like there is not much difference after about 12 hours of work.....

Women can leave you feeling that way....

IMG_2340_zpsbedda8ba.jpg

IMG_2342_zps02c6eab2.jpg

at least part of Molly is still useful....

SR