Help - Repairing Routing Mishap

milhouse

Good advice. Your only problem is that you need to cut your patch piece to fit the shape of the inside of the cavity. On that basis I think you would make it easier on yourself in the long run by cleaning up the rout straight. Yes, it will enlarge the hole a bit however you will have a flat surface and a better chance of a clean fit. In addition you should be able to move the new piece around to match the grain better than as not. I wish you luck on this save.

Oh, do remember to strengthen the thin edges you have created also.

Good advice. Your only problem is that you need to cut your patch piece to fit the shape of the inside of the cavity. On that basis I think you would make it easier on yourself in the long run by cleaning up the rout straight. Yes, it will enlarge the hole a bit however you will have a flat surface and a better chance of a clean fit. In addition you should be able to move the new piece around to match the grain better than as not. I wish you luck on this save.

Oh, do remember to strengthen the thin edges you have created also.

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Prostheta - when you say 'cleaning up the rout straight', what does that mean? Do I just square off the hole i created, or do I chop that whole section of the body off and match it up? i really want to keep this body clear, or stained with no filler (kind of like those black Washburn N4s).

Would either of these options work?

I just meant the inside of the cavity wall. It isn't going to be easy to fashion a repair part to fit that perfectly, whereas a straighter piece is far easier.

+1 on that.

Make it so a flat sided repair piece is glued in. Id also glue in a 3mm veneer into the bottom of the cavity to strenghten the thiner areas up.

Then just do a burst to hide the repair. Maby even just an edge burst in black, similar to what I do on most of my Walnut guitars.

• 3 weeks later...